1998 Subaru Forester on the fritz

subaru
forester

My 1998 Subaru Forester has 111 K and the head gasket is blown out. i think i also need new rotors which are warped. the according to KBB is in fair/good condition and is worth probably only about 3 grand. I haven’t had a car payment in 5 years and love it. The mechanic who seems reliable and was referred by a friend gave me an estimate for the head gasket for approx 1500 dollars. i haven’t gotten a price on the rotors yet.

Would it be better to fix my old car that is not worth very much? OR cut my losses and buy a new car??? HELP!

If you like the car and no coolant got in the antifreeze, I would keep it and save the payments. Also, you save on insurance. New rotors and brake pads are cheap. They are routine mtc.

“If you like the car and no coolant got in the antifreeze…”

I believe that he meant to say that if no coolant got into the motor oil, the engine is still likely to be in decent shape.

Take a very careful look at the dipstick. If the oil looks like a chocolate milkshake, that indicates coolant/water contamination of the motor oil, and that the engine’s days are numbered.