1998 Lincoln Navigator brakes/ rim issue

Hey everyone. I just bought a 1998 Lincoln Navigator in april 2020. After driving a while I found that the brakes where vibration, kicking back, while I braked under 10 on occasion. I replaced the caliber, the rotors, pads on the front the issues stayed. I downgraded from 17in rims to 16in appently that was OEM for 1998. Which lead to the front driver side rim lug holes being stretched bigger. I went from steel to aluminum to cut down weight and save fuel etc. This has lead to the the first problem being fixed which makes me think the abs was not reading right.
What would cause the rim lugs to stretch.
It is only the driver front?
I have to rebuild the suspension anyway which is going to happen soon.

What do you mean the lug holes stretched?

Your ABS is actuating when it probably shouldn’t.

Yes, I’ll agree with that… the “why” is what I’d like to know. Were your 17 inch wheels screwed up in some way? Bent maybe?

Which caliper? Just one? And why?

Depending on what you mean by that… the studs may have been over-torqued so stretched longer. The truck may have hit something with the drivers front wheel bending it and maybe also bending the hub.

You went from steel rims to aluminum. They use different shape lug nuts, or at least some of them do. The conical shape of the steel rim lug nuts will dig into the lug nut holes of an aluminum rim with a flat nut surface on the wheel.

You’ve got the classic symptoms of unwarranted abs activation

Probably got a bad speed sensor . . . or possibly even debris on the sensor, which is magnetic

I’ll assume you have the rear-wheel drive Navigator, unless I hear otherwise. Your new front brake rotors come integrated with the tone ring, so that should be okay. but you need to check those speed sensors.

A smart mechanic with a pro-level scanner can go on a test drive and quickly figure out exactly which speed sensor is the culprit

Since I said “smart” . . . that rules out pep boys, just tires and any such place

You really need to post a picture

If you mean the hole in the rim where the stud goes through . . . that rim is now scrap metal. This happens if you improperly torque the lug nuts . . . think loose, as in forgetting to torque them at all

Now if you happen to mean the lugs themselves have stretched . . . this happens when a doofus drowns the threads in anti-seize and then proceeds to torque the lug nuts. They will bottle-neck, at which point the lugs are also scrap metal. The good news is that lugs can be replaced. The bad news is that it typically involves removing the rotors again

As I said before . . . you really need to post pictures of this thing which has stretched

Are you using aftermarket 16" alloy rims . . . or factory 16" alloy rims?

As Oldtimer said, the lug nuts used matters

Please post pictures of the rims AND the lug nuts