1998 Jeep Wrangler - Do I need airbags?

I’m 16 and have a 98 Jeep TJ that has had a front and rear bumper replacement which cancelled out the airbag sensors, so now it has airbags but they will not activate because there is no sensor, and I guess my question is it something I should fix?

Yes………………………………………

3 Likes

Are you sure the sensors were disabled? Most aftermarket bumpers just bolt on to the frame rails and do not affect the sensors. If there is a off-road 4X4 specialty shop in your area they might verify whether or not they were disconnected. A body shop would be another source of help.
But yes, they should be connected and functional.

1 Like

Since it’s illegal in at least some states to disable or tamper with air bags you could get in trouble driving it. https://firstquarterfinance.com/is-it-illegal-to-drive-without-airbags/#In-Summary

1 Like

Ask your mother and do what she says. She loves you more than you do.

Additionally, if the OP is injured in a collision and the insurance company finds out that the airbags were non-functional, they might refuse to pay a medical claim for his injuries.

Yes, he needs to get the airbags working again, for multiple reasons.

1 Like

Hm. A relatively unstable vehicle being driven by an inexperienced teenager. Yeah, I would go with airbags for sure.

1 Like