1998 Jeep Cherokee - won't start when raining

jeep
start
cherokee

I have a 98 jeep cherokee I just bought from my brother with 175,000 miles on it when purchased. He is a car person and, as far as I know, maintained it well. Problem is that, despite installing a new battery a mmonth ago, whenever it rains the car won’t start, turn over, etc. How might I start figuring out what is wrong?

Wet weather starting problems are usually just ignition related. They usually mean a need for a good tuneup including spark plug wires. Occasionally they’ll mean a cracked coil housing ir whatever. I’m assuming the engine turns over by doesn’t fire, which is the usual wet weather malfunction.

Start by doing a thorough tuneup. If that doesn’t fix it post back and we’ll suggest some further testing of the ignitoin system.

• mountainbike

Coil packs absorbing moisture?

When the weather is dry, spray the spark plug wires, ignition coils, ignition whatever, with silicone spray. It could seal out moisture. If it doesn’t work, go to plan B.

[b]The next time this happens, try shifting the transmission into neutral, and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts, moisture is effecting the park/neutral safety switch.

Tester[/b]

Battery terminals need cleaning/replacing. The rain may be dripping onto the battery too.

Need a little bit of information. When you turn the key,
do the lights on the dash light up, does the radio work, to the headlights come on? greg