1997 Toyota Avalon - what to look for before purchase?

I agree my friend that an Avolon has a good repair record, but at 250k, it’s more maintenance and how they were driven that counts. Plus, I repeat, 30 million sold. Your chances of finding a good Corolla that is cheaper to begin with, and has fewer miles is much much better then accepting an Avalon which has 250k. Bottom line…I shy away from any car with that many miles when I can easily get one newer and half the miles for just a little more or the same price.

@dagosa–It would be great if a Corolla that is newer is available for very little more with half the miles, but in my locale, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

It seems to me that @98caddy isn’t shopping for a Corolla

I suspect he wants a daily driver with a few creature comforts . . . power windows, locks and mirrors

I don’t believe anybody should be criticized for not wanting a bare bones car

Just because they want a few frills doesn’t mean they have poor judgement or are making some grave error

That’s how I see it

@db4690‌
That’s no problem. If one wants to trade practicality, reliability and value for creature comforts, why not look for one with even more miles. With that line of reasoning, mileage becomes an insignificant number. KBB and NADA prices don’t measure practicality and creature comforts…just value on the open market. Just look them up yourself. Saving $500 to $1000 more dollars to get a car with twice the mileage and is statistically and realistically at it’s life’s end because it has power windows ? Go for it then. Guess common sense goes out the window when someone, any one asks " is this a good buy?" With that reasoning, anything is. ;)))

IMHO, it’s a joke discussing possible sludge problems for xample with this car as anything, including the transmission, is very likely to need repair sometime soon. It isn’t going to last any longer then any other Toyota Camry v6 and I certainly wouldn’t be recommending spending anything but clunker change on one with quarter million miles either. These are old, old cars, and you get what you pay which doesn’t matter because this is just a philosophical discussion. @98caddy ain’t buying anyway this old ( mileage) wise; wanna bet ? Would you ?

@dagosa‌

Why are you criticizing me?

I’m just pointing out what I see

And I might point out something . . . I’m not the one in the market for a used car

OP did ask about 2 separate 1997 Avalons. I wouldn’t make any assumptions that he won’t buy an older car with high mileage in the end.

It’s his choice to make, not ours

We’re just giving advice. It’s up to him if he wants to follow your advice, my advice, or take some elements from all of our comments