1997 Saturn SW2 horn blows new fuses

Here’s what I’d do.

I’d make up a new wiring harness, properly fused. Then I’d remove the horn, and test it with a spare fully charged battery, on the bench, with the newly made wiring harness. In other words, get the car out of the equation. Start with a known good battery, a wiring harness that you know exactly how it is connected, and the horn. Get that combination working first, before trying to get it to work on the car.

This is outrageous

You need to find a competent mechanic. If he can get his hands on the factory wiring diagram, he should be able to figure it out and fix it WITHOUT rigging up an external horn button

This is NOT rocket science

@Yosemite @Barkydog I’ve visited 3 salvage yards and every horn has been stripped from the models that carry a compatible horn. I’m guessing I’m not the only one who’s had this problem. Although I was able to pull a few valuable parts to help out other things with my car, so I guess the visits weren’t an entire loss.

I’m still checking out sources, as I’d prefer to keep the same model horn. Getting close to exhausting all possible outlets, other than phoning every mechanic in the area and finding someone who knows what’s going on.

@db4690 That’s exactly what I thought, so I won’t ever go back to him.

A qualified mechanic could install an after market horn with all necessary wiring and a relay in less than half an hour with no wiring diagram. BTDT… more than once. It’s not rocket science.

That’s a great video. I have been able to replace the horn after removing the headlight without removing the fender liner though.

Finally had the new horn installed. Turns out the wiring throughout the steering column and such for the horn was completely fried and giving out all sorts of weird readings. The mechanic installed a push button on the left-hand side of the dashboard (see photo) and did his own wiring for the after market horn. Apparently it was cheaper than going diving into the steering column and engine to replace/repair the wiring issues. He finished it in less than an hour.

Wow, what a headache. Thank you all for your help and I think I can wire most horns now, thanks to this problem. Saturn stock horns suck!

Now that’s more like it. Installing a horn and all necessary wiring properly in less than an hour is truly professional work. Was the mechanic at a shop that specialized in electrical repairs?

Thanks for the follow up @bassman.

Thanks for the update. Good for you for sticking with it and getting a working horn again.

@“Rod Knox” Just a regular general mechanic that’s local. Family owned shop, not a chain.