1997 Mustang GT 4.6 To 5.3 Chevy Vortec

Also keep in mind, GM switched to.drive by wire throttle around 2004 and added the mechanism to drop cylinders for fuel economy around 2006 or so. The first means you will need to switch throttle bodies or add an electronic gas pedal. The second should be removed from the engine and standard lifters installed.

3 Likes

The engine & ecu i planned on grabbing were from an 03, would that be ok?

No drive by wire or active fuel management on an 03. So youā€™re good there.

Take that back. Not 100% sure on the drive by wire. I was thinking 04 was the first year, but it might have been 03ā€¦

1 Like

You are going to run into many issues which are going to have to be worked around. Driveline, mounts, wiring, throttle linkage, exhaust, etc, etc, etc.

Seems to me it would be much less headache and expense to just build up a Ford motor. As for your chronic Ford engine problems those are not design flaws. Itā€™s due to their being flogged and neglected.

6 Likes

This is a pretty common swap (ls engines into mustangs). There are entire forums dedicated to it. I assume because the ls motors are plentiful, cheap, and aftermarket support is strong.

Not saying itā€™ll be easy, but there is a lot of information on doing it. The ls motors have basically become the swap of choice, like the old 350ā€™s were years ago

To each his own but I would be more impressed if this 1997 Mustang GT was put in as close to new as possible ( Person admits they donā€™t have a large budget ) . A few engine modifications that donā€™t have a adverse effect on emissions and a pleasing exhaust sound make more sense.

4 Likes