1997 mercury sable speedometer flunk

my mercury sable had a leak in the lower intake manifold, so I got on it and finished it last saturday, on monday I was on my way home when I stopped to turn on my road and my speedometer just stopped working, it dropped to 0mph, what can I do to fix it?

You probably knocked the speedo cable out of the transmission housing when you were working on the manifold. Either that or you bumped the cable and, being old, it snapped. If it’s the latter, you’ll need a new one - I’m seeing them for $10-$20 for your car online. Otherwise, just shove it back into the transmission and clip it back down.

Coincidence.

There’s no connection between the intake manifold and the speedometer. At least none I can think of.

I suggest you test, and/or replace, the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) on your Sable. It’s attached to the transmission.

The VSS controls the speedometer and inputs data to the car’s computers, which control everything.

You should fix this.

this was a electronic speedometer and the wiring went underneither the upper intake manifold when I was moving the wires around, i broke that wire, so I soldered in another one in place of the broken one, and now it works fine.