1997 Mercury Grand Marquis Erratic No Start

I have a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis with 108000 miles. Twice in the last month it has not started.

The first time I turned the key and got nothing. Had lights. Called AAA. They came out. Turned the key and it started.

We then replaced the battery and the ignition switch. It had been sloppy.

Today the same thing. Turn the key-nothing. The car had lights. Called mechanic. He said try to start it 15 times. Maybe starter had a flat spot. No luck. There is no clicking sound. Called AAA. He came out and fiddled under the hood. Checked battery to see if cables were tight. Said he didnt know why it would not start. Turned the key and the car started.

Are there any other parts of the starter that might be creating a problem or does anyone else have any ideas.

I would appreciate any thoughts. You’ve helped me before and have been right on the money.

Thanks Rosemary

On your car, the positive battery cable runs right down to the starter to a solenoid (relay) that closes when you turn the key to start and engages the starter motor…Chances are, your starter is worn and dirty and in need of replacement…Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t…On some cars, the solenoid I mentioned, mounted on top of the starter, can be replaced separately, curing the problem and saving you considerable money…Sadly, today, few shops are interested in saving you money…But it’s worth a try…

The next time the engine won’t start, with ignition in the on position so the dash lights are on, step on the brake pedal and place the transmission into neutral and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts there’s a problem with the park/neutral safety switch.

Tester