1997 Lumina Check Engine Light

My check engine light keeps coming on. I’ve had a couple of mechanics look at this and they say the code indicates the transmission is going out. the transmissions does not slip or have any signs of going out. Any ideas about this issue??

See if Advance Auto, Pep boys or a similar place can read the code for you and then post the code here, it will be something like P123.

I had a 98 Limina sedan and a valve in the transmission would stick turning on the check engine light. Apparently it is a common problem and from what I have read not a terrible problem.

Have your local shop drain and refill the transmission fluid to see if that helps any, if you have not done this for many miles (50,000 or so) it will be a good time to do it.

Just for kicks could you please tell us what the code is for “transmission is going out”?

When you took the car in for a second opinion, did you mention what the first place thought it was? That can often lead to the same diagnosis. I don’t know anything about the garages you went to, but it is best to just describe the symptoms and let them tell you what is wrong. You may have done that, but getting identical unusual diagnoses from trouble codes that usually show problems with the emissions system is highly suspect.

When you took the car in for a second opinion, did you mention what the first place thought it was? That can often lead to the same diagnosis. I don’t know anything about the garages you went to, but it is best to just describe the symptoms and let them tell you what is wrong. You may have done that, but getting identical unusual diagnoses from trouble codes that usually show problems with the emissions system is highly suspect.