1997 Jeep Wrangler oil pressure drop

When I start up by 1997 Jeep Wrangler the oil prssure is 30-40psi. After 10-15 mins.of driving, if I stop and idle at 800 rpm’s, pressure gauge drops to 0. If I push the accelerator to idle at 1000, pressure returns and remains okay. Is adjusting the throttle so the car idles at 1000 the solution?

Do you hear any noises from the engine when the oil pressure is at zero? If not, the problem might be with the oil pressure sending unit. But to be sure, the sending unit should be removed from the block and pressure gauge installed in it’s place. Then you’ll know if it’s the sending unit or a more serious problem.

Tester

That Says It All!
CSA

I’m with Tester. Definitely start by testing the sender.

If that tests okay, try putting a seperate oil pressure test gage in the hole and test it with the engine at full temp. If your pressure truely is near zero, then the odds are good that the engine is worn out. While a compression test won’t give you a reading of the condition of the bearings, which is what in the engine may be worn out, it will give you an idea of the overall condition of the engine.

If you get to this stage, you could try some heaviet base weight oil. It may or may not help. If the engine is worn out you have nothing to lose.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try the tester gauge. I’d be sorely disappointed if the engine is worn out since it has only 64,000 miles one it.

I wouldn’t be too disappointed. The mileage is low but the years are there. To me that suggests a life of short trips, and that can wear an engine out too.