Oil Pressure Drops to 0 When I Stop

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 4.7 V8 and I keeping having this problem, when I stop at traffic lights or just stop in general. The Oil pressure gage goes all the way down to 0 and and when I start moving it goes back up to almost where it should be. I checked the oil and it’s at a safe level. Am I losing pressure some how and is it safe to keep driving? Any ideas on why this is happening?

I suggest having a mechanic measure the ACTUAL oil pressure with a separate, calibrated gauge. If the pressure really is going to zero the engine will quickly be damaged.

It’s possible the sender or the dashboard gauge is faulty, but don’t gamble with this. Have it tested ASAP.

You need to get the pressure tested with an external gauge. I had a old Trans Am that did the same thing, and had it tested. The dash gauge wasn’t accurate and the test proved that.

4.7 V8?? Anyway, you need 10 PSI oil pressure for every 1000 engine RPM…It is not unusual for old, tired engines to idle at near zero oil pressure…That’s why God makes 20w-50 oil…Also, a new “oil pressure sender” might cure the problem…

Yes it is a 4.7 V8, and it only has 80,000 miles on it. It has never done this before so it’s just concerning.