1997 Dodge Caravan, 1997 Geo Metro

Greetings:

I have a 1997 Dodge Caravan that I drove (and slept in) peacefully for years. It has 134 K miles on it, and the transmission has just gone out. My mechanic has advised that I not invest the money into fixing the tranny–was that good advice?

I also have a 1997 Geo Metro that needs some work, and since they don’t make them anymore I am hoping it might be worth millions :slight_smile: Does anyone know what vehicle still in manufacture is closest in fuel economy to the Geo? Are there any vehicles still made with a 3-cylinder engine? Thanks for your ehlp–

I have a buddy with a Ford that is running on 3 right now (it’s a 4 banger), will that do?

My limited experience with the Caravan is they may be good cars that first 120,000 miles or so. But, when they start to unravel, they really unravel. In 1998, I bought what looked like a nice vehicle, a 1989 Caravan, with 120,000 miles. The brothers said it is usually cheaper to keep a car fixed than to buy a new one. It didn’t work too well for me; too many failures.

I drive a lot, and soon, whenever I reached a destination, I had to call for an appointment with a mechanic. Amarillo; Cedar Rapids; McAllen; each and every time it neeed work.

I suppose there are people here who drove one 2,000,000 miles, but most of us, yeah, at 134,000 miles it may be more practical to get something with lower miles or new.

The question is, however, do you have money for another vehicle? If things are tight, it is sometimes practical to get a good used tranny and pop it in there, if you are low mileage driver and another 10,000 or 20,000 miles would be a big help.

If you can afford a good car, and are just being frugal (like me) then get another car.