1997 Buick LeSabre [Very] Limited

So, when I am driving, sometimes something happens and the engine will lose power so that when I even tap the gas, the tachometer revs up to 2000 or 2500 rpms before giving any power (normally it operates on the highway at 1000-1750). Also, sometimes I’ll stop at a stop sign (instead of rolling through) and the car will be stuck in a higher gear and I’ll have to use the column shifter to get power back. I added transmission fluid and the problem went away for about 20 miles. Then I had it looked at by a mechanic. He fixed the breaks, changed the oil, lubed stuff, and reset the check engine light. This fixed the problem for a few days. Now the check engine light comes on every now and then and the same shifting problem comes back. Any thoughts besides “get a life, your transmission’s going”?

It sounds like the transmission is failing. You need to have it looked at by someone with experience in transmission repair.

TRANSMAN is the expert on this board, hopefully he will see this and reply.

Well you know my first thought, but for a second let’s get those engine codes. That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here. It likely will have a format like P1234.