1996 Nissan Maxima Speedometer and RPM guages dont match. WRONG GEAR!

Hello-

I am new to car talk and dont know a ton about cars but i do know that my old sturdy 1996 Automatic Nissan Maxima has her check engine light on (that thing has been on for years on and off- cant seem to get it off) but more importantly shes not in the right gear when I’m driving.

I’ve had this problem several monthes ago and my Taxi Mechanic thought it was the computer giving her the wrong signals so he changed it for a better used one. Now its happening again. I’ll be doing 60 and the RPM will be at 2- no higher. Any ideas?? Or i’ll be at a stop light and the RPMs are at 1. is that normal?

I fear that i’m going to wear my transmission down fast. Shes almost at 200,000 miles but I’m looking for her to hit 250-300k!

It sounds perfectly normal. 2k at cruising speed, 1k or less at idle… sounds about right.

What did the RPM figures use to be?

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

From what you have written, those numbers could be normal. They would not normally match.

Mine did the same at 186,000 miles but I went to the junk yard and replaced it!