1996 Ford Ranger (PU)

Recently, while driving my Ranger at slow speeds, 10 to 15 mph, (I live off a dirt road), it would die out on that road then it would refuse to start right away. I’d have to wait five minutes or more then it would start right up.

So, I started to drive faster on that road so I could make it home.

Also, during both phases, I would get to my place and if I shut the ignition off and tried to start it right up again, it wouldn’t. Again, I’d have to wait. Eventually, the wait got longer, anywhere from 15 minutes to overnight.

Well, now it won’t start at all.

The best way to describe its behavior, it’s as if it was out of gas and I was trying to get it to start.

I’m terrible with cars, but I hope I can take car of this myself. help

Here’s what to do for a no-start condition for your vehicle.

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c1528018eb31#hd1-1-3

But from what you describe, it sounds like it’s a heat related component failure. And when this happens, the two first suspects are the crankshaft position sensor and the ignition module.

Tester

I also wouldn’t rule out a fuel pump that heats up and quits working. That is easier to check than a cam or crank sensor, unless your familar with sticking a VOM on the sensors themselves and have easy access.