1996 Chevrolet Caprice - It wasn't the throttle body or crank sensor

Hi I have a 1996 chevy caprice,well my problem is that it won’t start anymore,I change the throttle body,I changed the crank sensor and it still won’t start,so I was wondering can someone tell me what my problem is and how to fix it,thank you very much.

what do you mean by won’t start? does it crank over but won’t start? or is it totally dead and does not even turn over the engine?

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first time some spent hundreds of dollars on parts just to figure out they were out of gas.

4 Likes

If you want to keep throwing parts at it, try the ignition control module next.

Tester

1 Like

Lemme get my cystal ball…

You fix cars by diagnosing the problem not by asking folks on the internet to guess what is wrong when you tell them NOthing about your car and haven’t tested any of the systems yourself.

Start with fuel and spark do you have both?

3 Likes

Tester

6 Likes

My fortune cookie says, “one who asks question and gives little info, gets answers with little info.” LOL

3 Likes

Check for fuel and spark and report back.

1 Like

It’s okay if you don’t know a lot about cars. Just try to give us as much information as you can. I’m going to assume that it spins over fast enough to start. Doesn’t fire at all Or is it just a constant spin when you turn the key? Does it fire up and then stall? Does it sputter? And importantly, after you try to start it and you get under the hood again do you smell fuel? If not go get a can of starter fluid at an auto parts store and carefully read the instructions. If it fires up and stalls that tells you you’re not getting gasoline at the injector. If you spray starting fluid in it AKA ether in there and it still doesn’t fire at all it’s time to take a spark plug out, put it in the connector, make sure it’s touching the head or block and spend it over and see if you see any Spark. It’s either that or pay somebody to fix it. We can’t do that stuff for you. You haven’t said anything dumb here you just haven’t said enough. Did someone else tell you to replace the parts you did replace? I’m going to assume because it’s a 96 Caprice but you don’t have a lot of money and you really need to get this car started.

4 Likes

Stop F***ing around. Change the car!

The problem is you are wasting you time and money just throwing parts at it. The only way to actually fix it is…wait for it… wait for it…GET IT PROPERLY DIAGNOSED.

2 Likes

The real problem is I think OP is just another Drive-by.

Not until he finally gets the engine to start!
:wink:

2 Likes

What symptoms led you to replace the throttle body and crankshaft position sensor? Was the car starting prior to their replacement? If so, you may have left something disconnected or knocked something else loose.