1996 Cadillac Deville - Overheating, broken belt

My car started overheating and when I got under the hood I noticed that one of the belts was torn up pretty good. I’m guessing that this belt runs the fans or something. I am wondering what the name of this belt is and how hard it would be to replace?

The picture looks too small to be able to see it, but it’s the belt on the right side of the engine block, next to the oil dipstick. The second picture loaded upside down.

Thanks

I can see a serpentine belt located next to the battery, can’t see the other belt. If they are worn, get new drive belts. A bad or slipping belt might affect the efficiency of the water pump if the pump is driven by one of the belts.

Cadillac’s Northstar V8 has the water pump mounted on the back side of the engine block, or driver’s side as it is installed. There is a small belt running from a pulley on the camshaft to the water pump and a tensioner. This appears to be the belt you are trying to show us. If the belt breaks, the water pump will not run and the engine will overheat. The belt is cheap and easily replaced.

Yes, the water pump belt, that sounds right. Thank you

a better picture of it can be seen here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113037740727666940988/1996CadillacDeville?authkey=Gv1sRgCN77rKWt-uTQmQE#5618195120708481250