1995 Volkswagen Eurovan - Rain stopped the van

'95 Eurovan 5 cyl gas engine stalled in heavy rain. Still won’t start 3 days later.

Saying it won’t start could mean many things… Does it even crank over, or are you getting a loud click and nothing else??
Does it turn over but not start up, does it turn over and try to start but stall back out??
Do you turn the key to start the vehicle and the vehicle does nothing like no battery??

Need more info please…

Worst case, you ran through standing water that got sucked up into the intake duct and Hydrolocked the engine… If you have an aftermarket (low mounted air filter) cold air induction, then there is a good chance you Hydrolocked the engine…

You can remove all the spark plugs to see it will turn over and if water comes out…

But again, we need MORE/BETTER info as to what you mean by won’t start now…

EDIT: After looking at a lot of google pictures of the engine and the engine bay, I am not sure what happened, unless you drove through a ton of deep water…

1 Like

No experience w/your vehicle and I don’t know its engine configuration, but my older VW Rabbit exhibited this same symptom years ago, cause turned out to be a faulty ignition coil. Replacing that part solved the problem completely.

Weird thing, while I was diy’er diagnosing the problem and suspecting it might be the coil, I sprayed water on it from a garden hose from every conceivable direction, and the engine never stalled a single time … I finally removed the coil for a look-see on the work-bench under bright light and optical magnification, and saw a tiny crack, nearly invisible. There are many possible reasons for you symptom, but just an idea, fyi …

Rabbit’s engine config: Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection, points-distributor, fire-wall mounted coil. Symptom: engine running fine, then stalling immediately after driving over a puddle