1995 Nissan Pickup - Will Not Start When Hot

I have a 95 Nissan Pickp that will not start when the engine is hot and it is hot outside (usually 95 or hotter).

To get it to start, I usually have to either hold the ignition on for 15-20 seconds, or I have to repeatedly turn the ignition key, or I just let it sit until it cools down.

I have replaced the battery (twice) and the mechanic has tested the starter and it tests fine.

Does anyone have any other ideas that I can pass on to my mechanic?

Has your mechanic tested the starter when the engine/starter are hot?

Tester

Yes.

Okay? Does it have an automatic or manual transmission?

By the way, I drive a 95 Nissan pickup.

Tester

It has an automatic.

Okay! The next time it doesn’t start, turn the ignition switch to the on position so that the dash lights come on, and then step on the brake pedal and shift the transmission into neutral. Now try starting the engine. If the engine starts, there’s a problem with the park/neutral safety switch on the transmission.

Tester

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot.

I’ve got a 1995 Nissan pickup that started with exactly the same problem. It has manual transmission (the way all trucks should). It started this last summer, went away over the winter, then returned when temperatures got into the 90’s. Our mechanic kept it for two weeks and finally gave up. He said that the battery’s good but I’m not sure he checked the voltage or current at the starter. He adjusted the timing. Not sure what else he checked.
I changed the spark plugs & spark plug cables, air filter, distributer rotor button (couldn’t find a cap). The last thing I replaced was the hard to find wires and connectors attached to the positive side of the battery which were in pretty bad shape.
This problem has now progressed to the point that the engine won’t start at all – just a click. This probably indicates that not enough power is getting to the starter, right? What should I check next?

The starting system has two circuits: direct power to the starter motor; and, power for the starter solenoid (and, maybe, a starter relay). You need to check the voltage for the starter solenoid at various points in the circuit to it: at the ignition switch, the park/neutral switch, and (possibly) starter relay. The voltage shouldn’t be more than one volt lower than the battery voltage.