1994 Honda Accord struggles at certain speed

Have you owned this car since new? 25yrs? And have anxiety about buying a similar sized replacement? Can’t be money. You have had no payment for 20 yrs.

Have you considered the Honda Fit? Sizewise, it reminds me of my 1976 Civic CVCC.

(I am keeping my 1999 Civic going for some of the same reasons you have expressed.)

1 Like

I tried to open the hood in the morning and in the evening, but the latch just won’t unhook (pulling, pushing, watching a video on someone
doing it…). I tried finding paperwork on the vehicle, but alas no luck yet. I plan to confirm on Monday with the mechanic.

Good to know I’m not alone in these sentiments! I’m not a big fan of hatchbacks, but I will need to keep the older, lighter-looking Fit in mind if they don’t come out with a less bulky alternative within the next 5 years! Thanks for the suggestion!

One time the hood wouldn’t unlatch on my Corolla. I’d pull the gadget inside the passenger compartment, but no “pop”, and associated unlatched hood. It took a sort of contorted magic trick on my diy’er part to ever get the hood open. The problem was lack of lube on the latch mechanism. After that frustrating experience I always lube the hood & door latches on both my vehicles whenever I change the engine oil. No problems with a hood stuck shut since.

Thanks, that’s really good food for thought! My parents have a newer 2016 Civic, and yes, I believe the length is about the same.

I feel like I’m being eaten up in the newer car: the cabin is too big and the doors are too curved for me to feel for how much clearance I have when, for example, squeezing between cars that are blocking my lane (if you don’t squeeze in, you can get honked). My
main gripe with the bigger cabins and bulky frames is the driving perception that I lose .
Driving is already mentally taxing as it is, but I’ll get run over if I ride a bike.

Sorry for the late response! Automatic.

lol, I am very picky about the shape, because it influences my driving perception (where does the car end and begin, how much clearance do I have) my mental state when driving. I mentally panic a lot when driving as it is already; I can’t pay for more stress!

I didn’t hear a pop either, and the lever in the cabin was pulled all the way. Maybe it is not just me! Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to make that happen when I take it to the mechanic!

Tracy, you need driving lessons . And I really don’t know what you mean by squeezing between cars when lane is blocked.
Are you a new driver or just unsure of yourself ?

1 Like

94 accord is a shoe box. i had a 01 accord and it did not feel boxy. didnt drive our 15 civic much. but it felt smaller than the accord.

1 Like

UPDATE:

This is an update after Mechanic #3 examined the car. To recap, the immediate issue for this thread was the car not gassing at the same time every day going home from work (after 1-2 minutes of driving, gas pedal won’t move car). This bothered me because the problem was confined to a very specific time of the day, down to the minute. I asked the mechanic to change out the fuel filter (I believe the one on top that is easier to replace). I tested the car for 3 days at the same times that the car previously had the issue, and now there is no problem.

A secondary issue that was discussed here was that there was a leak from either the engine or the transmission identified a few months back. Mechanic #3 said that the leak is still originating from the engine, even with the oil thickener. Specifically, it is coming from the crank shaft, which means that the transmission will need to be taken out, if I want that leak repaired. The comments are in line with the observations from Mechanic #1 and Mechanic #2.

I really appreciate the various car suggestions mentioned above. I have at times driven other cars, and I find that the most difficult aspect of driving these newer cars is 1) looking through the smaller rear window before merging lanes, 2) having a comfortable line of sight from by vantage point to the actual front of the car, without having to be so unsure where the car actually begins, and 3) roomy car interiors that make me feel like I’m driving a large, unwieldy hotel room. My engine still runs smoother than these newer cars, so I am reluctant to move on until very necessary.

Again, I appreciate the time and comments from everyone. I am copying this thread to my text editor for future reference!

Some how I doubt if that is true .