1994 Camry Problems

I have a 1994 Toyota Camry with about 191,000 miles. Overall, it runs good, but I’ve been having some trouble with it. There are basically three problems, and I think they’re all related: 1) occasionally, the car won’t start after it’s been parked somewhere for a few hours. Usually this happens in the afternoon; 2) sometimes when I’m accelerating from a standstill (like when a light changes to green) the car will hesitate for a second, and then kind of jerk foward, like there’s something wrong with the transmission; and 3)I’ll be stopped at a stop sign or sitting at a red light and the car will just shut off. Not only that, but then I’ll having trouble starting it again. This is the most troubling issue for me because it seems to happen randomly. I took my car by my mechanic, but the car worked fine when I was over there, and he told me he’d have to see the problem to fix it. I’m hoping that maybe someone here might be able to tell me what might be wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

For the symtoms you describe, the first order of business would be to have the fuel pressure tested. The long starts, hesitation on acceleration, and stalling could be from a fuel pump that’s giving up the ghost.

Tester