1993 Toyota Corolla randomly won't start

My car will randomly decide to not start, for example I can drive it to work just fine but sometimes it won’t start after it’s been shut off. When trying to start it my door will ding but the dash lights and radio don’t work. The car won’t crank at all. It has to be jumped. We have replaced the battery, battery cables, and the starter. We have had the alternator tested and they said it was good. But we’re still planning on replacing it. Has anyone else had this issue or have any tips/suggestions?

do you have an alarm system? they can cause all sorts of problems as they age.
I would also check the relays. it is possible one is working intermittently

. How to Test a 3, 4 or 5 Pin Relay - With or Without a Diagram - YouTube

1 Like

I missed the part of it having to be jumped to start. another thought… if it is siting a while between trying to start it, you may have a parasitic draw.

The BEST Way TO Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - YouTube

A common problem with Toyotas is worn starter solenoid contacts causing random no-starts. Happened to me twice. How many miles? How old is the starter?

We just replaced the starter last week with a brand new one. We’ve also realized that when it doesn’t start the engine is pretty warm and it’s hot outside, so I’m wondering if it could be a possible vapor locking issue?

It will start up just fine every morning, if I stop at the gas station and shut it off to run inside it won’t start when I come back out.

Do you have a crank but no start issue, or a no crank issue?

2 Likes

I would just hear the click of the starter.

I would check the wires going to the starter to see if they are worn, burnt or if there is a break inside the wire. it seems that once things are hot you have this problem. also make sure the connections are clean and tight.
As Texas has stated it could also be the starter itself. I have put in new starters and have had problems with them shortly after. especially if it was an Autoparts store rebuilt starter, or remain one
and not a brand new one.