1990 Alfa Romeo Spider - Clutch trouble starting

My clutch is grinding. I need a person who knows old Alfa/s. the dealership has not been helpful

Very hard to recommend a service center in your nationhood when we don’t know where you live… lol

The best thing to do is ask family members, work colleges, maybe ask some specialty shops (the auto community around you might know more than you think)…

Check Google for transmissions shops and local shops near you…

Cost for the 1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce Clutch kit (if that is what is wrong) is around $300-$400 and labor is around 5.8 hours depending on rust and any mods or seized parts that may or may not be a factor… Not counting flywheel replacement or machining and any other parts required…

3 Likes

Also do a little research on your own. It may well be that replacing the clutch on your car is nearly identical procedure to most manual transmission cars. If so you can go to most any auto repair shop, although there may be some wait for the parts to arrive. First step in your research of course is Google & UTube. Next try the forum search feature here, link upper right this page. Craigslist has an auto repair forum that is populated by some European mechanics and diy’ers, so someone there might be helpful. Beware that unmoderated forums tend to host a bevy of internet trolls though. One final idea, the UK magazine Practical Classics hosts a classic car forum, and someone there might have some helpful advice. I believe that magazine in past issues has run some articles on Alfa Romeo clutch repairs. Aftermarket repair manual (Chiltons/Haynes etc) for your car are probably available and would have the clutch replacement procedure.

Does your Alfa have OBD I fuel injection? If so, that’s a very good configuration for a classic, especially if manual trans, so hope you are able to keep it on the road.

Just our 25th Alfa post ever! Thanks, Warren!

1 Like

I recommend this shop, which is close to my home:

I don’t know whether its location is convenient for you because you failed to mention where you live.

1 Like

The dealership does not want to work on your 33 year old car. They have more than enough work doing warranty repairs on 1 to 4 year old cars.

2 Likes