1989 Toyota RAV4 - Brake issues

car has 93,000 miles, brakes were going almost to the floor, one week after purchase. took car back to dealer, supposedly checked and had brake tech check “could nothing, everything fine”. We brought car home, practically no brakes. We took to a service center, had new rotors and pads put on, still not much brakes.WHAT CAN WE DO NOW?

You need to find a good independent shop ASAP before you have an accident and hurt yourself or others.

4 Likes

Was the”service center” an independent shop or a national chain? Chain stores are usually inferior to an independent.

2 Likes

Was the”service center” an independent shop or a national chain? Chain stores are usually inferior to an independent.

I should have added that in my reply.

That RAV4 is now 31 years old. I have never written these words here before: Perhaps this vehicle should be donated? Let the donation company (CarTalk does it if interested) do a complete brake overhaul. Is a 31 year old RAV4 worth the $400 to $600 that a complete brake overhaul can cost? In my experience, worn rotors and pads do not result in a vehicle having a pedal that “Goes almost to the floor.” That is typically related to the master cylinder or a leak, or air in the lines or other issues. I wish you good luck.

2 Likes

There is no 1989 RAV4. Might be a 99.

2 Likes

wild guesses . . .

bad brake master cylinder

bad brake lines and/or hoses

leaking wheel cylinder(s)

leaking brake caliper(s)

But one thing’s for sure . . . whoever “fixed” the car after your complaint is terrible

5 Likes

If the brake fluid level is not dropping, the most likely fault is an internal leak in the master cylinder. These can sometimes be intermittent. Pumping the brake pedal can make the brakes work better than holding the pedal all the way down - but that is not a cure.

Reminds me of a Corolla wagon I bought from a college roommate for $400. “The brakes work - you just have to pump them.” A new master cylinder was the first repair I did on that car.

+1
I would be very surprised if the problem wasn’t the master cylinder.
But, I would be even more surprised if the OP owns a 1989 Rav since that model wasn’t introduced until about 5 years later.
:wink:

You just bought the RAV4, and took it back to the dealer you bought it from? Was the brake problem present when you bought it, or did it happen later? If you are leaking brake fluid, It was almost certainly bad enough that the dealer should have seen it. IMO, they should have never let it off the lot in this condition. When did you first notice it?

1 Like