1988 festiva

Wouldn’t start…Cranked ok. Plenty of fuel… Changed plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor. Started and ran great for two days. Died on the way home from work. Replaced coil. Still cranks fine, just won’t start.Anybody had trouble with or know about control modules?

Any chance it might be the timing belt?

If it were a timing belt issue it wouldn’t have ran, not ran, ran, and not ran again.

You’re right, I misread post. Could be problem had nothing to do with parts swapped - fuel filter?

Rather than throwing parts at it, how about checking for the big three:

• SPARK
  • FUEL
  • COMPRESSION

1ST, THANK YOU! IT DID HAVE A BAD DIST. CAP. SEEMS TO HAVE GOOD SPARK AND FUEL AND COMPRESSION. BUT WILL CHECK EVERYTHING AGAIN.DON’T THINK CONTROL MODULES “CRAP OUT” THAT OFTEN,BUT I’VE NO EXPERIENCE WITH THEM. THANKS AGAIN.

I will only suggest to make sure the coil wire is pushed all the way in. If your car has an igniter, I would be wondering about it, but it costs more than an 88 Festiva.

some day you guys will REMEMBER . EXHAST!

THE BIG FOUR does not sound as cool as the BIG THREE.(considering the times )HOW CUTE!

Good point. A blocked exhaust can also cause problems, but it generally does not cause a no-start situation, rather it usually causes power loose at high speeds.

THE FESTIVA LIVES!. MY SON CHECKED AND IT APPEARED COIL WASN’T GETTING SPARK.DID SOME RESEARCH ON IGNITERS. (THE SAME CONTROL MODULE IS ALSO USED ON 1989-1990 MAZDA MPV’S AND 1991-1994 MERCURY CAPRI’S.) THEY DO COST PROBABLY MORE THAN THE CAR IS WORTH, BUT I ONLY PAID 2 DOLLARS FOR IT… WENT TO THE LOCAL REMOVE YOUR OWN PART PLACE AND GOT A COUPLE ALONG WITH SOME OTHER STUFF FOR HIS CAR…CRANKED RIGHT UP… I GOT GOOD KIDS! NOTE : WHEN HE TOOK THE OLD ONE OFF, HE NOTICED IT RATTLED A LITTLE WHEN SHAKEN.