1987 Toyota Pickup rear brake issue

What can you do about the rear break compensating device. Mine doesn’t function well and the brakes will grab.

I had a 1979 Toyota truck and had lots of rust problems around the rear axle and rear brakes. If the compensating device is an arm attached to a valve, I would wonder if rust has seized the arm or the innards of the valve.

But if the rear brakes are grabbing - that is such an unusual symptom. Have you investigated whether your front brakes are working? Rear brakes play a small part, and generally won’t lock up if the fronts are doing their - much larger - part in stopping a two or four wheeled vehicle.

First, make sure the wheel cylinder isn’t leaking brake fluid.

If the brake shoes get brake fluid on them the brakes will grab.

If there are no leaks, then remove the adjuster, unscrew it, and apply brake caliper grease to the threads so it can move freely.

Tester

Thanks. The cylinder is o.k. so I’ll try freeing up the adjuster.
Tester
March 15First, make sure the wheel cylinder isn’t leaking brake fluid.If the brake shoes get brake fluid on them the brakes will grab.If there are no leaks, then remove the adjuster, unscrew it, and apply brake caliper grease to the threads so it can move freely.TesterVisit Topic or reply to this email to respond.To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Thanks for the response. Only the RR grabs and at very low speeds only. There are no fluid leaks, and overall it stops nicely, so I will check out the valve, as you say.