1985 Toyota Supra running on 2 cylinders

Those numbers sound very similar to me. And that’s 30 years. Please everyone stop with the replies. Its way to much. Stop please.

And those Road and Track numbers were presumably back in the day, when the Supra was a new car

No way this particular Supra is producing 230hp @6500rpm. Given the compression numbers, it’s going to be FAR less. Meaning far slower to 60mph and 1/4 mile. Won’t even reach 60mph, from the sound of it, at least not on that engine. If you drop in an engine, it should either be a verified running used engine with high compression, or a fresh rebuild

Why stop, we’re all having a great time

And you have to admit . . . this is a very informative discussion

4 Likes

I’m hanging in here to find out that the OP is either having a few laughs throwing out such an outrageous situation or the cars ECU has a glitch that defies all logic. Don’t leave without filling us in @knocksensor. But so far it has been fun.

1 Like

But 2 summers ago it reached 50 on 2 cylinders.

Your engine is dog meat

These are the specs. I found. Not nearly as optimistic as yours. With numbers like these I doubt it could even keep up with my 02 camry 4cyl.

1982 - 1986 Toyota Supra - Drivetrain/Specifications
Type 2.8 liters 12-valve (2 valves per cylinder) DOHC 5M-GE
Output 145 HP (150 HP in 1983, 160 HP in 1984, 161 HP in 1985-86)
Torque 155 LBS-FT (159 lbs-ft in 1983, 163 lbs-ft in 1984-86)
0-60 mph 9.8 Sec. (8.4 Sec. 1985-86)
Quarter mile 17.2 Sec. @ 80 MPH (16.1 Sec. @ 85 MPH in 1984-86)
Transmission Five-Speed Manual/Four-Speed Automatic (Optional)

2 Likes

Yeah. And I can run a 4 minute mile in high heals.

1 Like

Well, that certainly puts things in perspective

If a brand new 1985 Supra had 161hp, just imagine how much power this worn out engine currently has :fearful:

Turns out OP was correct, when he said it had a “crap load of power” . . . an apt description :poop:

New torque 163 ft-lbs . . . now it might not even be able to pull a radio flyer

New 0-60mph times 8.4 seconds . . . now it won’t even make it to 60mph :checkered_flag:

New 1/4 mile times 16.1 seconds @85mph . . . notwit might take a full minute, and it obviously won’t ever reach 85mph

:smirk:

2 Likes

That car has barely wheezed since you’ve had it, Injectors are the least of its problems.

Maybe the reason this “moron” mechanic didn’t touch the car is because he began to read who he was dealing with and wanted no part of the car or you.

6 Likes

I think you may be on to something

:laughing:

3 Likes

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo by Dragtimes recorded July 12, 2009 - basically stock with a custom catback exhaust, 163,000 miles and 21 years old - 1/4 mile 13.76 sec @ 105 MPH - 246 HP and 274 lbs-ft torque.

Don’t sleep on the Supra. Many have tried and failed.

Hate to bring up an old topic but was this ever figured out? Running a 2jz on megasquirt and only 2 cylinders working 1&3. Other 4 injectors unplugged runs better not missfiring

Nothing has been done it is still the same.

Is the Supra in the driveway, in the garage, in storage, etc.?

I understand “nothing has been done” . . . to quote you

but what are you planning to do next?

Its sitting outside in the driveway. I cover it was a car cover. I do not have time to do anything but I am thinking next spring to pull the motor and put one I had in another Supra I had drove years ago.

Is it compatible?

Not to be snarky . . . but we all remember you put in a “mystery” engine which wasn’t entirely compatible with your particular vehicle

I’d also make sure the donor engine isn’t seized up

If there’s any easy way at all to do this . . . make sure the donor engine has good compression

Rather than going to all that bother and expense with installing another used engine, which might have other problems, the better option might be to remove the existing engine and take it apart piece by piece to see what’s wrong. Then put it all back together, rebuilding/replacing stuff as required, click it over … you’ll be hearing that like-new-engine Supra sound. Plus it will be more fun. The biggest problem is whether you have the space available, and that the space won’t be needed for something else soon, b/c this project will take some time. But the car has already taking up a good deal of space, so there’s the upside potential of freeing that space up once the engine is working.

Same story as 3 years ago.

B4 I change the motor I will try to change the fuel injectors. I have extra parts. Is there any chance the computer could be screwing up these cylinders? Only the 1st n 6th cyl are working. 2 to 5 all have excellent spark but do nothing. It idles excellent still. While running I put a spark tester on it, all great spark. Literally pulled the middle 4 out while running, no change whatsoever.

Oh yeah, I forgot about this thread. Like the guy who wanted to clean up his crank journals with sandpaper. With the motor in car. And now wants to push start it with no alternator installed. Well, literally a non working one is installed. But that’s another matter. Takes all kinds to run the world.