1985 Toyota Supra running on 2 cylinders

“quake mechanic” . . . ?

The only “quake” I remember is the computer game from several years back

:stuck_out_tongue:

Quake mechanic – Maybe that is who is responsible for those of us in Oklahoma having cracked walls in our homes.

1 Like

Sounds like a real success story. Repairing this car shouldn’t take years and and multiple Quakes or Quakers. After this much time the gasoline may be foul, this will damage the fuel pump and gum up the valve stems causing the valves to stick open.

WTH? Compared to what? A '74 Pinto? So powerful it did 0-60 about 1 second faster than an '85 Camry and got about half the gas mileage.

1 Like

Yup!
That radical mechanic really…shakes things up.
:wink:

perhaps you could define this unit of power?

2 Likes

Oh whatever.

In Detroit’s darkest hour the Pinto kept the lights on and the assembly lines moving. But then the Vega was GM’s ace in the hole. Does anyone else remember Ross Perot? If only GM and the rest of Detroit had paid attention to him. When Ross told GM they had shot themselves in the foot they first ignored him and then had a board meeting and recognized he was right and decided their best option was to shoot the other foot to keep things on an even keel but in their rush they shot the already wounded foot again and have been marching in circles ever since while blaming the UAW for all their troubles. Cadilllac 4-6-8, Quad-4, Daewoo…

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s much easier to assign blame to somebody else, versus looking in the mirror and seeing the real reason for your failure(s)

He’s not coming back. You guys were sufficiently cruel enough he’s done.

2 Likes

I don’t think he ever left. He posted just an hour before you. And besides with his insistence getting This Supra running again, he must like abuse.

2 Likes

With those compression numbers pointing to a worn out engine I fail to see where it has the “potential for a crap load of power”.

Based on the OP’s post 6 days ago I wonder about a lot of things other than that… :wink:

3 Likes

Because 2 summers ago it would take off for the first few seconds fairly fast and then begin to lack power. So you are saying that without a doubt that any car can not run on all cylinder if the compression is a bit lower than what you think it should be. Is it typical for a car with so called lower compression to only run on 2 of 6 cylinders even though all six are getting spark. I’m no expert mechanic but to be honest I’m guessing probably none of you are also. Am I correct? Anyone here have say 20 years experience working in a shop? And what is a OP?

I think part of it could be in the rear end. Even with the engine before which later blew a hole in it, when it was on literally its last mile it still managed to turn the tires and throw you back in the seat.

Yes I want to get it running because it was a Texas car. Meaning basically almost 0 rust. And the car handles better than most cars 20 years newer. It can turn on a dime, and its much more fun to drive than today’s front wheel drive. Plus these cars are worth a little bit as they are not that common. Also not to mention it is not that far from getting running. Even if that means I have to pull that engine and drop another one I have already pulled out, basically only needing a rear seal before it can be dropped. But before I go that route I’d like to make sure that it is not the injectors. That was the reason I took it to a mechanic but the moron never touched it. I have to many other things to do that its hard to have the time to work on it much.

No, you’re not correct.
ok4450, Tester, and db4690 are all professional mechanics, whose advice and opinions you should heed. There are a few other forum members who are also mechanics, but my memory of exactly which ones are mechanics is failing me at the moment.

1 Like

Knocksensor you are the OP and you are afflicted with a lot of misguided ideas. My personal thought is that while your intentions are good you are in over your head.

1 Like

A rebuilt engine is the way to go rather than wasting any more time and money on the current one, IMO.

Only 15 yrs. here.

Doubtful

You mean to tell us you could have just dropped a running engine months ago, but haven’t, because you wanted to tinker. You are a glutton for punishment, and as mentioned earlier in need of help.

Count me in

Supra by Road and track - 0 to 60 6.4 sec. - 1/4 mile 15 sec @ 91 MPH - 230 hp @ 6500 rpm - G force .83

2015 Mustang V6 by Road and Track - 0 to 60 5.5 sec. - 1/4 mile 14.1 @ 102 MPH - 300hp @ 6500 rpm - G force .86

2 Likes