1984 Toyota Pickup help

It’s called “Back Peddling”

I bet the OP is driving her truck with a new clutch somebody else put in or the truck is parked and she is driving something else…I never back pedal…What I said was true…

This rear main couldn’t be more simple…its just a circular metal seal with rubber and a spring on the inside…a one piece deal…just pry out old and tap in the new…doesn’t get any easier. But true some rear mains suck in design…and worse in application. This one is CAKE by any measure. In fact I havent done a rear main that had differed in this design in over 20yrs…they’ve ALL been like that.

Blackbird

Hell…just knowing that the OP is a SHE and wnts to do the clutch job kinda makes me want to meet her and watch her wrench…Maybe even help if she let me… Melikey the ladies that like to wrench for sure…or even WANT to wrench. Melikeylots

I wish her all the best…shes going to do a great job.

Blackbird

I never back pedal…What I said was true…

Sorry…Caddy…but the facts don’t lie…You made two contradictory statements…Nice try though…I’m sure everyone believes you.

Descent set of tools, but have freinds I can borrow from if there is something I dont have, thank you you all again :0)

SO…where have you been? Wrenching I hope? As you can see we’ve been arguing amongst ourselves while you were gone… Some things will never change. LOL… Let us know how you make out…

“PS: being a lady has absolutely nothing to do with it. Women are no more or less capable of doing this type of work than men”.

texases–you are absolutely correct. I had a graduate student who was a very attractive, petite female. I supervised her master’s thesis on computer music. She was an excellent student of computer science and a talented pianist. At any rate, she had an old Ford Fiesta made about 1978. She accepted a job in California and to get the Fiesta ready for the drive to California, she pulled the cylinder head off the engine, took it to a machine shop to have the valves ground, and then brought the cylinder head back to her house and reinstalled it on the engine. Not only did the Fiesta make the 3000 mile trip, but she was driving the car several years later. She spent the first money she earned on a grand piano–decided she could make the Fiesta run a couple more years.

The rear main seal is in a housing that must be removed from the block to R&R the seal. There is always a first for everything but it would be very advisable that the OP have a well experienced adviser close at hand when taking on such a job. Pilot bolts, tape to secure the U-joint cups, a tool to remove the pilot bearing (if needed) and someone who is absolutely capable of handling the weight of the transmission when it is pulled free will make for likely success, Without experience the likelihood of mishaps is very high…

Shouldn’t be…the rear main should be sitting there right behind the flywheel… pry out…push in… There may be a retainer plate on the back of the engine…just unbolt that IF there is one…and its right there…Easy Peasy Japanesey

SOME rear mains are a royal pain…not this one tho

All work and no play… no time to work on the truck yet, but SOON! Fortunately I have a couple of other cars to get me through though I do miss the lil truck :0)

BTW, I will have an assistant/advisor if I need, my neighbor has a lift and it will be utilized, thanks for stickin’ up for the chick :0)

I’m glad to hear you have access to a lift. When I did my first clutch job on my little Toyota truck, I also had access to a lit and a couple of buds that were willing to help for beer and BS. We knocked it out in a little less than two hours. The transmission only weighs like 70 pounds with the lube drained out, and easily handled by a single person, but a trans jack is still helpful. The transmission also doesn’t need to be totally dropped if the cross-bar is in place and not damaged. Just slide the transmission back onto the bar and it’ll sit there.