1984 Ford F-150 - is starter combined?

I have a 1984 Ford F-150. It definitely needs undercoundercoBut right now I need paint for my truck, I will do it myself, because right now it could not hurt, plus I need a selnoid, they ask me it its starter combined, ink, do you? It a 303 mote, automatic, 8 cyl. 2 barrel

Get it running first, paint later.
Undercoating a 35 year old truck would have no purpose.

2 Likes

Look up your truck on rock auto and see if you see a starter solenoid like the ones pictured on the inner fender under the hood. If you do, it is not starter combined.

I don’t remember going on this site… Wow, anyway the motor is good, only 84.000 miles what do you suggest?

Well the truck needs shocks all around, I installed the starter selnoid but the cable from the battery is way too short, what should I do?

??? You removed the starter solenoid and now the battery cable is too short to reach the new one? I’m very puzzled.

2 Likes

You can have battery cables made any length you want.

Mark me done as puzzled too. Maybe the wire was corroded & broke in the process? In any event most any auto-electric shop could fix this for you OP. Ask at your local parts place too, maybe they have a generic part fix. If you want to purchase the part via the internet, and RockAuto doesn’t have it, the LMCTruck website may.

I may be biased b/c I have an older-than-yours 4WD Ford truck w/302 & C4, but I think you are well on your way to a nice truck. Only 84K miles? That my friend is a very good starting point. A 302 with a C4 or C6 automatic and 2 BBL Motorcraft 2150 carb is a very good combo for the powertrain. Tough as nails. And you probably have electronic ignition, even better. Hopefully you have the Ford 9 inch rear differential too. The biggest downside you are facing is probably just the price of gasoline.

All the truck needs is a '79 model carburetor and distributor properly installed. Those last years carburetors were used to attempt to meet emission standards were a real pain.

1 Like

Good point. Can’t speak to the distributor issues, but reverting to a 70’s-era carb seems like a good idea for OP’s truck. If OP’s not seeking peak performance, racing etc, might even want to go back to an Autolite 2100 carb. A even more simple carb design than the late 70’s Motorcraft 2150, no metering rods in the 2100. If later OP wants a more sophisticated fuel system capable of better responsiveness & more power, upgrading to an aftermarket TBI electronic fuel-injection system is definitely possible, albeit a little pricey.

1 Like

Where could I purchase one at ?

LMC Truck has aftermarket electronic TBI fuel injection systems for F150’s in their catalog I think.