1984 Dodge D150 squirting gas

the carb is squirting gass out of the top when it starts and runs how do i fix that?

rebuild or replace the carb.

1 Like

i figured it out i broke the glass line when adjusting it

Good work. Glad you got it fixed.
And a special thank you for taking the time to let us know.
Happy motoring.

does anyone know what mpg it gets?

or what he wheel base is? i am relatively new to the mechanics business

Depends on a couple things, the type of engine it has (there were three available, the 3.7L Slant 6, the 5.2L V8,and the 5.9L V8. It also depends what transmission it has, there was a 4 speed manual and 3 speed automatic available, and it also depends on if it’s 2WD or 4WD. The axle ratio, bed length, and cab type also figure into it.

The most efficient combination would be the 2WD, manual with the slant 6. It’s rated for 15 MPG city, and 19 MPG highway. The least fuel efficient would be the 4WD automatic with the 5.9L, it’s rated for 10 MPG city, and 12 MPG highway.

Depends on bed length and cab type, there may even be variations with the same bed length.

its a automatic trans long bed reg cab slant 6 3.7L and 2 wheel 225cu in engine

how do you calculate it? could you tell me?

The wheelbase should be 131 inches for the single cab long-bed. A 2WD Slant 6 with the automatic is rated for 14 MPG city, 17 MPG Highway. Keep in mind that while the Slant 6 is just about unkillable , it isn’t exactly a firebreathing monster, it was rated for 95 HP and 170 lb/ft of torque. 30+ Years later there’s a fair chance that it’s not going get quite the fuel economy it was originally rated or make the the amount of power it originally had.

what do you mean by wheel ratio

You mean “axle ratio” ? It’s the gear ratio in the axle(s) Typically a numerically lower (taller) ratio like a 2.73 to 1 or 3.08 to 1. will yield better fuel economy at the expense of acceleration and/or towing capacity. The engine turns less RPM at any given speed, there’s less mechanical advantage available to the engine. A numerically higher (shorter/lower) ratio like 3.73 to 1 or 4.10 to 1. will usually result in quicker acceleration, but reduced fuel economy, the engine turns more RPM at any given speed, and typically but has more mechanical advantage available.

It’s sometimes referred to as a “rear end ratio” or “rear end gear” And oddly gears will with a lower numerical ratio are commonly referred to as “tall” gears and numerically higher ratios are often referred to as “short” or “low” gears.

thats it

do you know what the wight limit is for towing something?

Not sure what that means. Please explain.

If that picture is any clue as to the condition of this very old truck, towing capacity is the least of your worries. You should be more concerned about the brakes and if there are any rust issues that would compromise safety.
What do you plan to do with this ? Restoration would be money wasted.

it was my great grandfathers and i plan on using it till it dies i completely re did the breaks all round and i meant broke the gass line

i am trying to fix it by fall so any help would be appreciated

Do you mean the gas line that feed gasoline to the carb from the fuel pump, and you had a leak where it connects to the carb? Yeah, that could squirt fuel if it wasn’t sealing well. The gasoline is under pressure at that point.

I like your classic truck btw. I have an early 70’s Ford truck myself. Just drove it today to get some parts for my Corolla in fact. Is that a CB antenna on top? Excellent. That’s period 1960’s/70’s spot on. Good for you for getting your grand dad’s truck back on the road and purring like a kitten. The slant 6 225 engine might prove a little short on freeway ramp acceleration times, but will be more reliable & easier to work on. And 6’s tend to have a little more low end torque than v8’s for some reason. The automatic transmission may prove to be a problem eventually, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it. If this truck has been laid up for a while, before starting the engine and driving it much, make sure you start with a fresh batch of fluids all around. There’s a couple of magazine that might interest you: Classic Trucks and Vintage Trucks. B&N carries both in my area.

Hard to find that info. But from what I’m reading with the manual transmission and 3.2 rear axle ratio, it was rated for a whopping 2000 pounds. The automatic is probably about the same. Like I said, the slant 6, isn’t exactly a powerhouse.