1982 Ford Bronco runs for a few minutes, floods

starts , runs few minutes then starts flooding. running 7200 vv carburetor

Carb rebuild time! The float valve seats are likely rotted away from the ethanol in modern gasoline. And this wasn’t a great carb even then.

The problem might be with ignition control module.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1982,bronco,5.0l+302cid+v8,1105715,ignition,ignition+control+module+(icm),7172

The ICM functions in two modes

These are the start and run modes.

The ICM may function fine in the start mode, and the engine may run for a moment, until the run mode of the module fails.

Just an idea.

Tester

I have a Ford truck w/a carb too. Older than your Bronco though. Maybe you can explain your symptoms a little more OP. So it starts ok, then it stalls within a minute or too after starting? If so, why do you think the stalling is b/c of carb flooding?

I have retrofitted many of the older Motorcraft 2bbls to replace the VV carburetors on various Ford vehicles. I gave up trying to rebuild them and off the shelf rebuilds were worse than my efforts. There is a definite drop in performance though.

1 Like

Those 80’s carbs tended to be difficult to diagnose & repair. My parents had an 80’s Subaru and had to sell it b/c their mechanic couldn’t figure out how to repair the carb problem. Rather than battling 80’s carb designs, I like @Rod_Knox 's idea of reverting to a Motocraft 2150 or even an Autolite 2100. That sounds like an excellent approach. You may loose some oomph during accelerations, but you’ll be much more likely to have a smooth runner once you get the carb tuned to the engine. My 45+ year old truck is equipped w/ the 2100, and after a carb rebuild, runs really rather well. It’s not going to win any drag races, but it definitely has considerably better acceleration than my 90’s fuel injected Corolla. The M 2150 carb is basically the A 2100 with metering rods, next best thing to a variable venturi. If you just can’t quite figure out what is wrong w/your carb, there are shops who specialize in carbs. You just mail your carb to them, and they’ll figure it out, make the repair/adjustments, and return it to you by mail. One is called “the carb shop” as I recall. I think that’s in the LA area. That’s only effective if the carb is the root of the problem of course.