1978 Cadillac Seville - Motor Stalls Out - No Warning

cadillac
seville

1978 Cadillac Seville ? Motor Stalling Out

The auto repair shop replaced both electric fuel pumps, fuel filter, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor 7 EGR value in hopes of fixing the problem with no avail the car still continues to stall out and stop.

Symptoms: driving usually (but not always as it stalls out in driving around town too) on the freeway at a speed about 60 miles an hour usually while I am not accelerating , I feel the motor hesitate and sometimes it catches itself and not does stop and other times without warning it stalls and stops. I could drive it for 3 or 4 days without any symptoms and then the next 3 days I drive it, it either stops on me or acts like it will stop on me at any moment. It has, if I continue to try and turn the motor over ? started back up. This is a beautiful and car that I have driven for 31 years. It has a rebuilt motor in it with about 82,000 miles on (the rebuilt is not that great, but?) Any ideas? I don?t want to send off the junk yard ? I have had it too long.

A faulty ignition module in the distributor, or the wires leading to the pickup coil in the distributor can cause these symtoms.

Tester

I’ll second this call–particularly thewires leading to the pickup coil in the distributor. I had the exact same problem as the original post with my 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass. A new pickup coil solved the problem.

Thank you it will be the next part to be replaced.