1974 Ford F100 stalls like out of gas, when not

Hello, I recently purchased a '74 Ford F100 ('81 Lincoln Continental engine) in great condition. I’ve been driving it for a few weeks now with no problems. Until today. I had driven the truck to work, lunch, an errand, and back… almost. As I was a block from home the truck stalled, like it was running out of gas, and I was lucky enough to be able to steer it to a safe spot. I waited a few minutes and tried starting it again, which it did start, but immediately stalled. I did stop for gas on my way home, so it most definitely was not out of gas. Any ideas what could be causing this? A few things to note, it is 97 degrees outside today and was yesterday as well. The truck also gave me a bit of a hard time yesterday, about the same distance from home, with not getting any response when pressing the gas pedal. However, it did catch up and did not stall yesterday. Any help would be appreciated. I love this truck!

Replace the fuel filters (I think there are two, one inline from the gas tank and one inline to and near your carb).

For sure change that fuel filters. And then check all the rubber fuel lines and replace any that look deteriorated. Also, there is a very small wire mesh screen in the carburetor at the needle/seat that can become clogged with debris if the problem continues.

Great, thanks for the insight. I will have it looked at and let you know what we find.

I appreciate the response!

If my 1977 with the 351m is any example these guys are dead right, except mine doesn’t have the filter below the body, only one in front of carburetor. If you’re having it looked at, have them check all the vacuum lines too. The rubber lines are very similar and seem to enjoy rotting out at the same time. Fortunately, they are cheap.

Cheap is what I like to hear. I am going to take it to a couple places on Monday and see what they can find out. Always a little scary taking a 36 year old truck in for inspection, so it’s great to have a heads up on what the problem might be. I know this truck will take some work to keep it in the condition it’s in, but I’m going to try and fix problems as they show themselves so I don’t do too much unnecessary work for a $1,000 vehicle.

My 77 flew through inspection in DE, even with the toggle switch turn signals and remote horn button, the emeissions are tested to the year of manufacture, but mine was cleaner by tailpipe test than my mom’s 97 Chevy Corsica. LMC truck, JC Whitney, and Broncograveyard are likely to become your freinds soon, and it won’t be a $1,000 vehicle for long, just remember that $200 a month in parts and upgrades is still less than the payment on a 2001.

Sounds like “Vapor Lock”…A VERY common problem with these old trucks. Todays gasoline, made for sealed, high-pressure fuel systems, has what is called “high vapor pressure”, it boils easily when used in an antique truck with an open fuel system. When the gasoline reaches the hot engine driven fuel pump it boils, filling the system with vapor, not liquid gasoline. Also the gasoline in the carburetor float bowl can also boil…

Your truck then stalls out and will not start until it cools off enough to allow the gasoline vapor to escape or condense back into a liquid…

One trick to get you going, carry a jug of water and pout it on the fuel pump when this happens…