1973 malibu

If the Beach Boys hadn’t come out with “Little Deuce Coupe”, we probably wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

But speaking of exhaust cutouts for increased performance, I took a ride in a mid 20s Chrysler rumble seat roadster that had a factory installed exhaust cutout operated by a pedal mounted on the drivers seat pedestal. It was considered a boost for passing and steep hills.

Probably scared all the cows and sheep off the road ahead too.

Yosemite

I’m inclined to think the Beach Boys are the ones that got it right. And that was in 1963.
By the way, that original blue coupe on the album cover was recently auctioned off. I’d love to have that one.

I'm inclined to think the Beach Boys are the ones that got it right. And that was in 1963.

If you loved the Beach Boys…then see the movie “Love and Mercy”…about Brian Wilson.

I’m assuming the lake pipe name came from driving a stock vehicle to the lake bed, uncapping them, and racing. Thus lake pipes (used on the lake bed). Of course in Minnesota we don’t have and dry lake beds. They’re all filled with water yet so we just defer to the west coasters for the names.

Bing, I have no doubt that you’re correct. However the name came very early on (by 1963 anyway) to mean any pipes down the side, whether they could be diverted to the mufflers or not. Lakepipes and sidepipes became interchangeable terms.

But @Bing, you can drive on the frozen lake beds in the winter. If you want a little traction, get those spikey tires.

I thought that they were called “Ankle Burners”. Sizzle…sizzle!!!

Yosemite