1972 Buick Riviera for a Daily Driver

My big problem-you get your first look at it on the day you buy it? In Amarillo? With no inspection by an independent shop? That’s a recipe for trouble, if not disaster. Sellers often lie about the condition of what they’re selling.

5 Likes

Until this insidious Virus is under decent control there is no way I would meet strangers with a vehicle that I don’t know has been disinfected anywhere.
We had planned on attending several classic vehicle auctions this year to buy a vehicle . Maybe next year.

3 Likes

one advantage of young recruits is that they can still be molded into soldiers. The older the recruits are less likely to follow rules for the same reasons. We have to make it more personally appealing in business than your NCOs and officers did in the service. I mean no offense by this, leaders do what makes sense to get their team to get the job done. Young folks are more likely to take chances than older folks, too. Don’t we often say that 16 year olds are invincible? 18 isn’t that far from 16. It’s not that anyone is stupid. They just need time to gain experience that helps them grow up.

That is what those if us with older cars call a “frankencar” ( think Frankenstein) . As far as I’m concerned, without the big block 455, the car is worthless. Changes the personality.

1 Like

I’m concerned the 18yr old op is going to get taken advantage of . . . possibly overpaying for a car that may have been hacked up in multiple ways

I understand he says he’s quite knowledgeable for an 18yr old . . .

Then again, he’s 18yrs old

He doesn’t have decades of experience . . . he might not know what warning signs to look for

That’s why I’m concerned he’ll be taken advantage of, unless he pays money to have this car gone over with a fine toothed comb by somebody knowledgeable about these Rivieras

It’s not my business what his finances are . . .

That said, I hope he’s not substantially cleaning out his resources to buy this car

At that age, I think money should be spent on schooling, training, and so forth

4 Likes

I grew up before gun safety classes, who allowed me to hunt? It never occurred to me to ask anyone. I was raised by my grandparents. My grandmother worked full time in her own home and my grandfather was commuting to work and only home on the weekend.
During WWll there was no one watching the kids, they turned us out of the house because the adults that were left in town had more important things to do than watch kids. We were to be home for meals and when the street lights came on. Once the was was over it seemed silly to clamp down on kids who had not done bad left to their own devices for 5 years.

I lived in walking distance of a huge state park that turned into an even bigger national forest when it crossed the state line.

Perhaps because I lived through those times. I don’t understand the climate of fear that has gripped this country even before 9/11. People are afraid to let their children walk to school even though the exercise would do them a world of good. And in the suburbs, you don’t see kids playing outside.

I went on a social studies trip as a bus driver with high school students. Two buses full and we parked close to downtown buffalo so they could have lunch at a Greek restaurant at a busy intersection. We walked down the street to the intersection where the place was and I told them to wait for the Walk sign. When the signal said walk, they did. DIAGONALLY across the intersection. Luckily. no one got hit and there were screeching tires but no actual collisions.

60+ High School students and they did not know how to cross the street! These kids have been under supervision and driven everyplace their whole lives. I have a friend who was a college chemistry professor. He retired when he could no longer stand his students mothers coming and arguing about their children’s grades. No wonder these kids can’t cope with the real world, they have never been allowed to try.

3 Likes

I’m getting hungry just reading that :yum: I love Mediterranean food

That pretty much describes my brother’s family. My nephew is 12yrs old and his parents won’t leave him without adult supervision ever, under no circumstances, not for any length of time. He’s not even allowed to walk the dog alone, and they live in an upscale and very safe neighborhood.

It’s weird because my brother and I had the same upbringing . . . I’m mentioning that because I’ve known many people who didn’t actually grow up with their siblings for various reasons . . . and our parents gave us a lot more freedom to be kids, versus what’s going on now

I went with my nephew on the subway a few years ago. He was terrified, and part of it was because it was a large number of unknown people in a relatively small space.

Maybe that’s a contributor to so many kids still living at home at 30. And they can’t entertain themselves alone for 5 minutes because their parents have all been directing their entertainment their entire lives.

1 Like

In my neighborhood–which has essentially a zero crime rate–parents drive their kids to the intersections where the school bus stops to pick them up. At most, these kids would have to walk for 3 blocks, but almost all of the parents won’t allow them to walk, and the kids sit in their parents’ cars until the school bus arrives.

And, of course, in the afternoon, the parents clog-up the streets with their cars while waiting for the bus to arrive so that they can drive the kids 1, or 2, or 3 blocks, back to their home. I just don’t get it.
:thinking:

1 Like

I am not one to give counsel on spending. When I was younger I spent most of my money on fast women and slow horses. The rest, I squandered.

5 Likes

I live on a street that ends at an elementary school. Exactly that happens every school day. A line of cars past my driveway to pick up their kids. Even kids that live in our neighborhood, which is not that big.

Well, we strayed a long way away from the Buick Riviera, nearly to the French Riviera.
So here is my OG story.
Grew up in Minneapolis. K-6 we walked home for lunch, could be -10 degrees. I do remember in 4,5,6 grades, when the circus came to town, buses took us downtown where we were turned loose without chaperones. After the circus we boarded the buses, no problems.

I have to drive past such areas on my way home from work . . . and it’s enraging :rage:

And there’s really no way to avoid those areas, unless I make huge detours, thus adding several miles to the trip home

Had to drive our critter to school, and the city busses would stop kitty corner to the school, kids would walk diagonally across the intersection blocking up basically all lanes of traffic. The self entitled generation my thought. It is all about me…

Lol unfortunately I work at Lowe’s so I’m screwed either way, work 10-12hr days EVERYDAY :man_shrugging:t4:

Lmao cracks me up I ask about a car and it tirns into a discussion about young adolescence, hunting laws, and responsibilities :joy: lmao I’m laughing over here!

2 Likes

Be glad you’re still working

I know guys where the entire household is currently unemployed and has filed for benefits

1 Like

That makes you and me both, really sad what’s happening right now, stay safe!

Well. Welcome to CarTalk then! Sometimes we get off track… Squirrel! Squirrel! … Now were we?

You work 7 days week so 70 hrs pay?