1972 Buick Riviera for a Daily Driver

The fact that the engine’s been swapped to a non-stock version is a warning sign to me, now there’s something else to check if it was done right.

4 Likes

Last I checked… 18 IS an adult. With all the same responsibilities OF an adult…

But without the same rights… to smoke, drink, or own handguns mostly. But I digress!

2 Likes

I’m a Riv fan and have driven two to the outer limits. That one though is a classic and I think it maybe should be reserved for special occasions. Outside of standard mechanical parts that are likely the same as other GM cars of that and later vintage, other parts are likely to be a big problem getting. And if in a fender bender, I think sheet metal and maybe glass replacement would be a high adventure. Can’t believe a car like this would be selling for less than $5000. But there is a Riviera club on line with lots of information available and once a year they have a meet and greet so a good place to talk to other owners.

1 Like

OTOH, 18 year olds only think they are full grown men and women. They really aren’t. Physically, yes, but not mentally. They frontal lobe of women isn’t fully grown until the early 20s. For men it’s the late 20s. They don’t have the ability to project consequences from current actions. Remember when you were 18? How much of those goofy things you did then would you do now, or even when you turned 30? In some ways it’s good, and others it’s not. Smoking, drinking, and hand guns are all dangerous in the hands of people that don’t think far enough ahead to see the consequences of using them. Guns are fine when there is an adult involved, like family hunting or the military. They aren’t when an 18 year old carries his pistol into the street. Why do you think most of the hand gun violence is committed by men under 30?

1 Like

Oh my. I was hunting alone when I was 13 with no adult necessary. So were my friends. At 18 I was a sophomore in college paying my own way, driving a VW. I was in the Army on my 21st birthday and allowed to vote for the first time and go to a bar. I dunno, I think I could have voted responsibly at 18 but make up your mind. You’re either an adult at 18 or you’re not. If not make it 21 again but it never was 21 for carrying a gun-just drinking and voting. Kinda like being pregnant-you either are or not, no in between.

When I was young the drinking age was 18 but I started at 13 and quit when I was 18, just as it turned legal for me, I am about half Irish and I think they should keep firewater away from us, we have enough problems with impulse control sober.

I also was hunting at 13, plinking at tin cans at 7 and carried a jack knife every day I went to school. Every boy I went to school carried a knife and had access to gunsbut none of us shot or stabbed anyone even though er fought at the drop of a hat. Many times just for recreation. WE had a boxing ring in our junior high and high school gym classes and if they caught two boys fighting in school they would haul you to the ring and put heavy 16oz gloveson you and make you wale away at each other until you were both so tired you could not lift your arms. Met some good friends that way. Sort of like hockey fights, you let them fight so they won’t kill anyone with their sticks.

4 Likes

Who decided you could hunt alone at 13? Who trained you? Your parents probably did that. They decided you could hunt without them after making sure you learned your lessons well. Did you hunt on family land? That’s a limited area under your family’s control. My son in law lived on the family farm and hunted at an early age, but he didn’t go off on his own and find another place to hunt.

Yes he told me it had:

350 engine swap with stage 2 cams

700r4 transmission

Restored interior

I only expect people with a lot of experience with older cars to understand and know any

Remember 1 day, maybe 12 like in the 60’s, We were up at the cabins and I had gotten a new bb rifle. So we are driving back from town and in the rear view mirror it looked like the back window of the station wagon was cracked to my mother. Did you shoot at the car? no mom, why is the window broken? I did not do it. It ended up being the reflection of a steel shaft golf club in the back casting a reflection. No broken window, Every day is Friday now, do not mean to hijack the thread. @oldtimer-11

No we will meet up half way, at Amarillo Texas, I live in Albuquerque. I have a lot more knowledge than I should about cars at my “younger” age. Everyone sees a young irresponsible teen when I say 18 lol! But I assure you it’s not the case, I know classic car insure is very vague nowadays. Just wanna know what to expect.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll definitely do something like that if I do it, very helpful :pray:t4:

If you took the approved gun safety course, you were allowed by the DNR to carry a gun alone. And the class was in the Junior High School building and we brought our shot guns. Yes I hunted with my dad since I was old enough to carry a BB gun and probably a cork gun before that although corks were expensive. We lived in town so no land to hunt on. Had to walk to the woods or corn field.

2 Likes

A stage II camshaft is a mild performance cam, suitable for a daily driver.

Interesting that someone would remove the 455 and install a 350, perhaps the original engine was beyond repair. The MPG should improve a bit, perhaps you will see 10 MPG in the city.

What do you think about alcohol, firearms and the short attention span of senior citizens?

1 Like

I never even heard of gun classes. Suppose I should have since I made my daughter pass the state boat class.

:joy: my bad I had a typo, I meant a Stage 2 Cam in a 350 engine with a 700r4 tranny

Yeah, I’d expect to have to replace stuff here and there a tiny bit more than your Nissan Altima sitting on the front porch, but at the end of the day if it’s reliable, not too worried about MPG or insurance. So I put a typo lol it’s a 350 with a stage 2 cam and a 700r4 transmission. I’m Not too crazy about performance, since I’m a custom painter, I mainly paint/pinstripe Lowriders. :ok_hand:t4: Thanks for the help!

Stage II cam explanation makes sense. With the engine swap they may have taken care of the ethanol compatibility. If you can afford it, what the heck, go for it. The big Riviera boat tails were one of the cars I always liked, but where I live, the few I looked at had too much rust.

1 Like

But yet that’s the age we think they are old enough to fight for our country. That’s how old I was when I was drafted.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with that statement… BUT this is a legal argument, not a social development one.

If you have the responsibilities of an adult, signing contracts, voting, military service, ect… You should be afforded ALL the rights of an adult. Not just some. 21 or 18, doesn’t matter, pick one and be consistent. This makes 18 year-olds second class citizens. We wouldn’t allow that for any other group. Try doing this for folks over 70… It would not happen because they vote in large percentages, 18-20 year-olds don’t.

BTW, I was married (still am to the same woman) and living on our own at 18. I was going to college and working part time while she worked full time. She attended college when I finished. I bought and sold cars signing my name of the titles (car reference…) I was very much an adult at 18. More so than many, but certainly not all, of my peers.

As far as I know, no one has pushed back in court on these restrictions. I think there could be a case made for age discrimination and civil rights violations, but again, I digress.

All riiight then! Go for it! That combo is a nice compromise away from the 455 gas hog and towards a nice reliable package!

And Rivs make fantastic Lowriders… Bag it and drop it, don’t need to hop it!

3 Likes