1970 Cadillac Eldorado Clunk

I own a 1970 Cadillac Eldorado with 118,000 miles. When I shift into reverse, there is a loud “clunk” that you can feel through the car. It’s loud and hard and somewhere up front. This does not happen when shifting into drive, park or neutral. It also does not happen as the transmission shifts through gears when accelerating. It also doesn’t seem to matter if the car is parked on a hill or level surface.

I’ve spoken to some of the guys in the Cadillac Mailing List, and the reigning theory is that I have a bad CV joint in one of the front axles. Anyone run into this?

It could also be motor or transmission mounts. Maybe??

My first guess would be CV joints if the transmission is otherwise operating properly.

I agree. It’s probably an engine/tranny mount.

When you shift into reverse, the torque appied to the engine is one direction. All forward gears apply the torque to the engine in the opposite direction.

Tester

I agree that it is either c.v. joints or motor or transmission mounts. One way to maybe narrow it down is drive slowly in a tight circle forward and listen for a clicking or clunking noise. Drive very slowly and move the steering wheel from tight left to tight right. If you do hear it more I would suspect c.v. joints