1970 Buick Skylark - Who can sort this?

Cheryl,
So glad to hear you got your Skylark back.
I always loved the Skylarks, F-85’s and Le Mans coupes and convertibles.
The mid-size wagons took us to wonderful places too.

I am curious: what repairs did the repair person do after 6 months delay? Or, given their apparent negligence, what do you think they did, if their account is not credible?

Happy for you, that it’s back in your possession and working for the most part. Good luck going ahead and please keep us informed. Are you having any success finding somewhere trustworthy for any future work?

American Auto Rewire should have an exact replacement. A shop doing restorations would be doing this on a regular basis. A “normal mechanic” would do exactly as this one has done- start it and not have a clue how to finish it or where to find a wiring diagram or replacement parts. ( I own a '37 Chev, '69 Malibu convertible and '80 El Camino. This is not a difficult job to do.) Buy a Haynes manual for it–used book store.

BTW I’m 77 and still doing this kind of work.

2 Likes

Painless was the first company that came to mind for this sort of thing but I’d agree that an exact replacement harness would be the better move long term. I know a few people locally who work on cars of this vintage all the time, a family friend still has the '64 Ford Falcon wagon that his Aunt bought brand new. Won’t put generic parts on it and goes to through a specialty shop a couple hours away for anything he needs.

I think you should still contact the Fla car club mentioned earlier and you might find like minded people who love their cars for much the same reason as you. Also you might find mechanical advise and maybe a good trustworthy mechanic. Enjoy!

In 1970 most were running TH350 transmissions.