1970 Buick Skylark - Who can sort this?

Are you suggesting that Cheryl do this wiring harness herself ? If she could do that it would not have sat in a shop for this long and she asked for a mechanic recommendation.

I believe I said ā€œconsiderā€ but absolutely.

Running a wiring harness is a tedious, time consuming and often PITA task but a 1970ā€™s electrical system is much less sophisticated and more comprehensible compared to a modern car so thereā€™s less possibility of doing significant collateral damage and given that itā€™s a 40 year old car, I also think itā€™s safe to assume that itā€™s a ā€œhobby carā€ and not a ā€œdaily driverā€ needed for transportation so downtime isnā€™t a critical issue.

While Iā€™d never suggest an amateur even ā€œconsiderā€ something requiring actual mechanic skills and knowledge, like a transmission or engine rebuild, or something safety related, like a brake rebuild, part of the reward of the old car hobby is actually doing some of the work yourself, sometimes things you initially thought you couldnā€™t do.

As I told my ā€œMath fearingā€ daughter, ā€œItā€™s just time and effort and if it doesnā€™t work out such is life, no harm, no foulā€ and five semesters of Calculus later she graduated a proud engineer.

When Iā€™m 71 the last thing Iā€™ll be doing is disassembling a 50-year-old car to run a wiring harnessā€¦

1 Like

This vehicle does not have a complex electrical system even by the furthest stretches of the imagination. I wouldnā€™t say that ā€œanyā€ good mechanic should be able to diagnose and repair this vehicle it may take a little bit of looking around and I think the guys have made some excellent recommendations thus far. I would follow their lead.

Not sure what area you are in butā€¦I know a few people, other than myself, who could easily diagnose and repair this vehicle in the Philadelphia area. In the meantime I would look into the clubs and restoration crowds where ever you live, those people have a really firm grasp on things like this.

Anytime the dashboard is involved, count me out:

1 Like

While Iā€™d never suggest an amateur even ā€œconsiderā€ something requiring actual mechanic skills and knowledge, like a transmission or engine rebuild, or something safety related, like a brake rebuild

If I had followed that advice, I would have never learned the first thing about car repair. While I have never rebuilt an engine or transmission, it is only because used ones are so cheap around here because our cars die from rust, They used to be very cheap in our junk yards but the internet has changed that a little. The best way is ro advertise for a parts car that you can hear the enhine run and offer a little more than junk price.

Someone experienced with automobile wiring needs to look at the situation. It might be that the previous owner removed the instrument panel because the speedometer wasnā€™t working and got over his head. Thereā€™s no way to look at that picture and get any idea what damage, if any, has been done. I am very familiar with DIYers removing instrument panels without disconnecting the battery first and toasting the printed circuit on the panel. Also, disconnecting and reconnecting the speedometer cable has caused some impatient DIYers to break things in disgust.

And classic or not a pre computer mid size convertible American car would likely bring a lot interested would be buyers.

Rod , I donā€™t think that picture is of the OPā€™s vehicle.

I think you could do it at 71. 71 these days is the new 61.

Excuse me, all. I was again lost in a convoluted thread.

Thanks, I think I could, too. But I remember how working under a dash was my least favorite thing to do years ago. I know I wouldnā€™t like it any more now.

1 Like

Are you serious?
71 is the new 41! Iā€™m six months short, but I can do now things I couldnā€™t do at 41, physically and mentally. I eat right (plant based), exercise to excess, and with age comes wisdom (in most cases), not to mention I have time to be patient.

I donā€™t judge age by counting birthday cake candles. My cars havenā€™t been to a shop for years. I do the work.
CSA
:evergreen_tree::sunglasses::evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

1970 Buick Skylark Special Convertible was, is and always will be a classic.

New Base Price was $3,275.
Today a restored car with the right options (350/285 HP V8 Engine, 4 Speed Transmission and Factory Air Conditioning can bring $39,880.
NADA

Definitely a car worth rewiring and loving.
Rev-it-up-and-go, my friend.

1 Like

Thank you all for your insights. I appreciate all input both the positive side and negative. I believe it is obvious that I do not drive this vehicle regularly. It belonged to my mother who drove it off the lot in 1970 and I can not seem to part with it as I have such good memories of visiting my parents and touring the Colorado mountains in it with the top down. It is a Skylark Custom 350-4 V8 with factory air conditioning for those who asked. Though I do hate to be taken advantage of because of my affection for the vehicle, I will still endeavor to keep her running. Right now she is safely in my garage after asking my attorney on to contact the garage (almost six months to the day I brought the car in). The person fixed it that very day and I had a flat bed tow bring it home. I took it out saturday and it ran fine - blinkers, top, headlights, etc. - drove out in the morning to get coffee and a bagel and felt like a queen on the road, white hair to the wind! One problem with the column shift, but I will deal with it another time. Thank you all again, for your advice and comments - I am so glad I questioned this forum. Safe driving to you all!

5 Likes

Forget about arguing the value of classic cars, etceteraā€¦ Your reason to not part with it is worth far more! Some folks didnā€™t even bother to find out what motivated you.

Put the top down and let your hair fly! You will get envious drivers looking your way and asking you about your vehicle.

I see all kinds of people in Florida ā€œliving the dream,ā€ piloting cars and motorcycles they grew up with (or close stand-in replacements).

Value? Priceless!

My hat is off to you. Enjoy it!
CSA
:evergreen_tree::sunglasses::evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Yes, but most of these mediocre GM A bodies had small block engines and a 2 speed automatic.

So? A 70 Skylark is a cruiser not a dragstrip bruiser!

Besides, even the most powerful musclecars from the 70s can be beaten by even mainstreatm cars, let alone the Camaro ZL1s, Dodge Demons and Shelby Mustangs of today. Doesnā€™t make the old cars undesireable.

1 Like

Yes, but I was responding to @Art_King who posited that a Skylark, optioned correctly is worth $40k. Besides, in 1970, for me, it was either Mopar, or Nocar. As that unfortunate decade moved on, I actually bought two new Oldsmobiles. Even back then, I tended to get tired of cars quickly

1 Like

I think you might be surprised @texases. Iā€™m 73 and I can still climb and creep and stretch to do that sort of work, and so long as itā€™s not something Iā€™m doing for someone else I can take as long as I want to do it.

As I said, I can do it, but have no interest in doing it. Upside down on my back, working on hard to reach connections under the dash is NOT my idea of funā€¦