1968 VW Beetle starter wont stop

Thank you all again for your input ! I did the switch test and it works good, removed the starter (it took me a few minutes to figure out where the other end of the top bolt was) the entire shaft that the gear is on flops around so I think I will go for a new starter. looking forward to the next challenge.

Per my prior comment, you will find that the shaft the starter gear is on will flop around on the new starter also due to the starter motor not having a nose to support the shaft.
This goes back to the transaxle starter motor bushing I mentioned which is located inside the transaxle.

Got it, thanks ok 4450 !

OP, do you have that famously popular air cooled Beetle repair book by John Muir? How to keep your VW alive, something like that?

Besides the original owners manual I picked up a few books today, the one on the right I got at an antique store of all places.

Congrats on the Beetle purchase. I’m a huge fan of these cars (especially from 1967 and up) although I understand the complaints about them in regards to handling, lack of safety features, and barely functional heater.

For what it’s worth I’ve worked for a couple of VW dealers and have owned probably half a dozen Beetles along with a Bus.
A few tips that may help.
Check valve lash regularly.

Keep all gas lines in new condition. Many a VW has burnt to the ground because of ignoring 2 dollars worth of fuel line and allowing it to rot.

Make sure the generator belt is in great condition and adjusted properly. Not only does that provide critical charging of the battery, it also affects engine cooling as the shroud fan is operated by the generator belt. Many VWs have suffered roasted engines because the belt broke or was very loose and the driver chose to motor on instead of stopping.

On occasion check the flaps in the fan shroud which are thermostatically controlled. The engine can seriously overheat on a hot day if the flaps stick closed. Many people over the years have removed the flaps or wired them open. It takes longer to warm the engine up that way but can also safeguard against stuck flaps and engine overheating.

ok4450, thank you for the great information ! I think the next project will be the gas lines, the existing lines do not look so healthy and may be original. Thanks again.

“…the entire shaft that the gear is on flops around so I think I will go for a new starter. looking forward to the next challenge.”

They flop around even when new, by design. Up the pages a bit are comments about the bushing in the transmission housing that supports the shaft so that it stays centered and doesn’t flop.

They wear out and allow too much play in the shaft. You may want to check that. If I recall, most technicians replace the bushing when it wears out OR whenever replacing a starter.

CSA

“I think the next project will be the gas lines, the existing lines do not look so healthy and may be original.”

Don’t drive it until they’re replaced.

Regarding that bushing in the transaxle, they should always be replaced when the starter motor is out or being replaced.

Those bushings are also made of Oilite. Before the bushing is installed one should use a finger to cap off one end of the bushing. The bushing should then be completely filled with heavy oil. Another finger is then used to compress the oil tightly in the bushing until oil is seen bleeding through the outer shell of the bushing.

Yup… I was thinking the shaft to be rusty…but floppy is enough to cause this as well… Rusty, Floppy…arent they the same ? Either way…the shaft isnt doing what it should. Hahaha

Blackbird

A floppy starter armature is perfectly normal on the old air cooled VWs. It’s simply because the shaft is only supported on one end inside the starter motor.

I thought we were talking about the shaft that the starter gear moves upon? But maybe a starter from 68’ barely resembles modern starters…but methinks it should… No?

Been a long long long time since I even touched a vehicle from the 60’s… LOL

Blackbird

Here’s a pic:

OooH…Gol-Lee… I didnt have that pic in my head…thats for sure. Im used to the shrouded starter gear… I’m sure most know which one I mean…the modern day one. Then again…depending where that shaft ends up and what supports it…you simply might not need the modern type of starter body… Looks like they used part of the engine or trans to support the rest of that shaft.

Blackbird

Thank you all again for your help ! after sitting silent for 32 years the 68 Bug is singing again !

Great! But how’d you get it running on its side? :wink:

Lol…yes sorry about that. Good call on the gas lines, the old ones broke in half when I was changing them !

“Lol…yes sorry about that. Good call on the gas lines, the old ones broke in half when I was changing them !”

Yikes, What About Those Steel Brake Lines?
CSA

Taking my first look at the brakes tomorrow…