1964 unusual tire wear

1964 Bonneville unusual tire wear.

Inside shoulder of passenger side rear tire is wearing out. All other tires good. 2years old 11K miles. New front end, alignment, shocks, bushings all around, 4 link rear end, tire rolls true.

I only see two trailing arms with coil springs.

Tester

Maybe the alignment shop rotated the tires.That looks like front end wear not solid axle rear wear.

3 Likes

Could be trailing arms. It my cousins car.
Tires were installed at time of alignment.

If the rear end were misaligned enough to cause that wear it would likely be difficult to keep the car straight in the road.

2 Likes

Check for a bent rear axle.

Tester

2 Likes

Wouldn’t a bent axle cause a tire to wobble?

I see 4 trailing arms. The uppers are attached to the frame under the exhaust pipes on each side. Only 2 would not hold the axle in windup.

3 Likes

No.

Check for a bent axle tube,

Tester

Bent axle is a real possibility. I had a 1989 1/2 ton Suburban with just shy of 1 degree negative camber on each side of the rear axle.

An alignment shop should be able to quickly figure this out. They usually don’t check a live rear axle.

I believe you are right my truck had a camber problem & right tire looked looked the same as the photo.

I guess I haven’t seen everything after all. The only rear axle bends that I have seen were way past driveable but it seems a possible cause of the problem. Hopefully we’ll get the final results of the investigation.

And I do recall long ago running across a TSB re a rear axle problem that advised inserting a wedged ring shim behind inner hub race on a full floating axle but that was in the previous century, like this car.

Eight years ago I replaced a rear axle housing on a late model SUV because the right axle tube was bent. The vehicle was involved in a collision 10,000 miles earlier, there was unusual tire wear and the alignment values on the right rear were off indicating the housing was bent.

Inflate both rear tires to the same (proper) amount, then position the car on level ground & use a builder’s level or equivalent to measure if they are both oriented the same angle compared to vertical. Some cell phones are able to measure angles like that using their accelerometer sensor, but not sure how accurate or how much angular resolution is available. Check for broken welds on the trailing arm mount points, and broken springs too.

Best guess: That rear tire used to be a front tire and one side of the front suspension has too much camber.

1 Like

I also have to go with the theory that what you are seeing is a front tire now installed onto the rear solid axle. If your solid axle had any kind of deflection to cause that much wear, you would be passing your own Arse as you went down the road.

This tire was on the front

And the mystery solved .

Sorry, I fat fingered on the phone. This tire was never on the front. They, all 4, were installed after front end work and alignment. 2years ago