1957 Thunderbird

How long since it got new points/condenser/rotor/cap/plugs?

Sounds like a fuel issue to me… You can install a “Nurse Tank” at the fuel pump to see if that helps…if it does, that points to your tank and lines etc… If it does not help…it sounds like you have a problem inside the carb (rebuilt or not)… It may be a stuck closed or lazy float…or some type of issue not allowing the bowl to remain full at all times.

Fuel issue…That is where I would be looking and its very quick to suss out.

P.S… when you begin to hear the engine starting to die out…have a squeeze bottle of gasoline handy and squirt some fuel into the carb…if she runs better instantly.,…you have found an internal fuel supply issue inside the carb like I listed above. Very useful tool to have…a squeeze bottle full of fuel…helps suss out lots of things.

That’s very helpful. Thanks.

Do you understand what a “nurse tank” is and how to install one @JohnPapa ? You can honestly begin with the squeeze bottle of fuel… It will confirm or deny the fuel problem theory, but I’m fairly certain you will discover that it is indeed a fuel problem.

The nurse tank is to test everything from the fuel pump inlet…on backward to the tank. If the tank helps…then you have found an issue with some component from the fuel pump backward.

But I feel pretty confident that you will discover that its a problem inside the carb, such as a lazy float…that does not sink when its supposed to and allow fuel to enter the bowl and keep the bowl full. Again…that squeeze bottle…its an excellent tool.

Let us know how you make out.

Problem solved. The vacuum hose to the wiper mechanism was leaking. That was the buzzing sound that I thought was coming from what I thought was the speaker. Car now seems to run perfectly. Im a little embarrassed that is was such an obvious problem, but we were looking in the engine compartment. Thanks to all for the help.

3 Likes

Gotta love those $0 fixes! Congratulations, looks nice.

That open hood reminded me of the neat hoods that were hinged in the front instead of the back. 57 and 58 Ford products but can’t remember right off hand if it continued through 59 or not. Not sure what the reasoning was for it but distinctive anyway.

So the hose leak solved the performance problem or just the speaker problem?

Ford did cintinue through 59.the reason was to prevent battery theft that was common in those day’s,

Yes, it wasn’t the speaker making the noise. Sounded like it was coming from the speaker but the wiper motor (where the leak was) is very near the speaker. The vacuum leak was making a buzzing noise.

I’m disappointed! @JohnPapa should post more photos of that cool T-bird.

My 63 Lincoln still has the front hinged hood.

Whoa… I must have missed that clue. In that vehicle that is a huge vacuum leak…which would then make it lean out, due to insufficient fueling.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Ok, I guess Im not out of the woods yet. We got this all together, 1st 3 mile test drive, and the car dies when it’s stressed or going up a hill. I had the original carb rebuilt by Carbs and more in TX. But it seems like the secondaries are not opening up. I’m this close…to buying a new holly 465 cfm but I guess my question is…if the secondaries were not opening on this, would the engine die going up a steep hill? I have replaced the fuel pump twice, checked the fuel lines south of the pump, new gas tank, good cap vent. Just don’t understand why this things dies going up a hill.

No, it’s more likely an ignition issue. Have you replaced the points with a Pertronix module yet?

Yes…Pertronix module, new coil, plugs, the only thing that isn’t new in the ignition are the wires. Really ignition? Man…feels like starving for gas.

By the way, Barkydog suggested compression check. Did it 150-165 all the way around. Also did valve seals and adjusted valves.

Are you sure the secondaries aren’t opening? If the secondaries are opening but the secondaries aren’t feeding gas it will die when accelerating hard. I’m assuming you have a mechanical secondary.

Change the wires. If you can, find an old guy like me with a Sun ignition scope. If you could find someone with a scope and a dynamometer to see the ignition under load, that would be a home run.

@JohnPapa. Vacuum leaks can really upset performance of an engine. I should have thought of this, because your Thunderbird was back in my day of vacuum wipers.

Have you checked the fuel filter? With a new tank, you have clean fuel at the tank. If there was shmutz in the lines that may have made it into the filter at the carb. Worst case, it went past the filter and now the carb has the shmutz.