1933 Frazier Nash & Britain's coming ban on fuel-burning vehicles

Maybe where you live. It’s NOT a good material up here in the North.

Agreed steel roofs last a lot longer. But the up-front cost is more then double. If properly installed asphalt shingles 25 years…Not too many people keep their homes 50+ years.

But the steel roof has other advantages - like snow just slides off. And on the right house it really looks a lot better.

My son-in-law’s grandmother’s house has a copper roof, they just replaced it last year. It’s far enough off the road that no one could see hail dimples, and as it ages, I suspect the oxidation will obscure small stuff like hail damage. She could have waited, but she has the money and didn’t want to saddle my daughter’s family with this huge expense. Very thoughtful. Oh, and she drives a Lexus LS400, just to keep it car related.

Who cares how it looks? It’s a roof. Did they replace it with a copper roof? That’s very special. I’ve read about stainless steel roofs but not copper; I’ve seen copper gutters.

The house lasts 50+ years, a steel roof makes it more valuable.

To a point. Not sure you can re-coop the total cost difference.

Generally, the homeowner. :wink:

1 Like

Pretty much every homeowner I know who cares what their house (and roof) look like.

Really? Half the capital Dome buildings I’ve seen are Copper Roofs. They are not very common on residential, but I’ve seen my fare share. You have to like the Patina of copper cause you can’t be spending every other year polishing it. I’ve seen copper roofs on some log cabins that were patina’d …they looked real nice. Not too sure how new roofs are copper these days…cooper is very expensive.

Hence why I didn’t change my lovely slate roof to either shingles or steel when we moved into our new house last year
:wink:

1 Like

I’d love to do slate…but around here it’s triple the cost. Plus you need to make sure the roof structure can handle the added weight.

Yeah the cost of slate sucks, but it’s extremely durable at least. Fortunately, our house is really small, so the cost to replace the slate if it would get damaged in a storm isn’t astronomical. I do remember specifically requesting that the inspector make a careful inspection of the attic crawlspace in our house to make sure that the roof structure was still in good shape, which it fortunately was.

IMHO it’s probably the most beautiful roof material…especially on Colonials.

3 Likes

That can be a major problem. A friend’s house has a roof done in ‘composite slate’, made to look like it, but 1/3 the weight. Well, it turns out to not be very durable, and the roof needs to be replaced, but the HOA is requiring real slate, which the roof structure can’t handle. Luckily there’s an engineered option using real slate, but much less of it.

yeah that composite slate is crap. My grandparents had that put on their house and it was horrible. I think they got rid of it and went back to regular shingles after only 3 years. While less slate isn’t ideal, it’s still usually doable, safe, and still effective.

Given the site we’re on, I’m surprised you guys don’t think this is the best roofing material:

:smiley:

2 Likes

Plenty of concrete streets in our rust belt city, evidently engineers do not see this as an issue. When oil prics were high concrete was cheaper than asphalt, and had a longer life expectancy.

Actually it’s not. Tires/rubber breaks down by UV light. Might be better then Asphalt and a lot cheaper.

Had a few thefts of copper gutters in our fair city.

Yes, they did. The home is over 200 years old, and they want to maintain its special classification. Buildings in the historic register have requirements that must be met to retain the classification.

In who’s universe? Concrete expands and contracts, but is not flexible so it buckles. Then it yields a very rough ride. Even after it is later paved with asphalt, it still gives a very rough ride. It also makes your tires “sing” with a high pitch which, if you drive on with your windows down for over eight hours will cause permanent hearing loss.

As for copper roofs, they are still used for accent roofs like over a bay window or small porch. Way to expensive to cover a whole house.

Ryobi still is garbage, unless you just need a cheap tool for occasional home use. Even some of Harbor Freight’s offerings are superior to Ryobi, though I still would not use these type of tools for professional use.

I have considered buying a used Mistubishi i-Miev. I have an electrical outlet on the front of my house, near where I park my car, so plugging in an electric car to charge overnight would be easy and convenient. I like that the i-Miev is a relatively basic car, with an in-dash AM/FM CD stereo, and non-powered seats, though it does have power windows and door locks. It uses a physical key to unlock the doors and start the engine, and has physical controls for everything, rather than a touchscreen which I can’t stand. It looks like this would be a good car for my needs.

You can’t be serious . It has almost no range of travel - limited support network - They almost could not give those things away the sales were so poor.

It does have one good point , it is so ugly no one will steal it.

1 Like