$15000 for 2013 Subaru Outback Premium at 35000 miles. Good buy?

Some of the new safety gizmos are not sorted yet. I understand that Subaru’s Eyesight system works well, but others aren’t as good. I drove a 2017 Avalon with the lane maintenance system. It worked poorly as far as I’m concerned, especially where two lanes merge. I tried to merge left when I wanted to, and the Avalon jerked hard to the right to keep me from doing so. I did not encounter similar problems when I drove the similarly equipped Impala Premium.

1 Like

From what I’ve read about EyeSight, I’m not sure I would dream of buying one

@George_San_Jose1. I appreciate your comments. very helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

Consumer Reports has had some good research and articles in the least year or two, on safety systems and audio/telephone systems, and how owners rate them.

So the gasket issues are real and legion especially in the older models and the issue seems not to bave been fixed. The larger engine capacity will give a lot more room between loafing and red lining it, depending on how aggressively you drive… i would say yes and hop on it. These are valuable cars in the PNW, and that price is unheard of. Check the obvious stuff w a mechanic and buy it. Maybe its a “strippey” and lacks the bells and whistles people find so necessary these days?

I had a 2016 and traded it in for a 2018 because of the apple car play and a few other new things. The 16 had almost 40k when I traded it and it was perfect. The 18 has 5k and no problems. They were both the 3.6 and they hold there value.

I have a few other Subaru with the 4 cylinder and didn’t have any problems. I have had more issues the the Hondas I had.

I only owned one Honda–a '92 Accord wagon–and it was, overall, a very good car.
However, when I moved to a rural area and bought my '97 Outback (4 cylinder) I wound up with a car that was more reliable than that Honda.

Yes, the dreaded head gasket breach did show up at ~110k miles, but because that was the only repair that the car ever needed, and because the dealership charged me less than $400 for the repair, I replaced it with another Outback (6 cylinder), which proved to be rock-solid-reliable and durable, and now I am driving my third Outback 6 cylinder), which is also a rock-solid-reliable vehicle.

Incidentally, that '97 Outback was sold to my brother–who drove it for ~2 years without any problems–and then it was passed-on to a young relative who took it to college with her. At last report, it has logged almost 300k miles, with only scheduled maintenance and the replacement of a lower control arm.

That’s good info.
Was the system able to be turned off?

I’m not sure if it can be turned off. I wasn’t interested in the car because the seat back was uncomfortable after a while, and I stopped asking questions. I checked on line and couldn’t find that info, even at Toyota. Nice car otherwise, just not for me.

I’ve seen some similar complaints about Subaru’s “EyeSight”, after what I figured I do not want that type of automation in my car until 2-3 generations of technology change and it is perfected

Toyota’s Lane Departure Alert can be switch on/off with the button on the steering wheel.

When a customer complains of LDA activation when changing lanes it is an indication that they did not use the turn signal. If the turn signal is on the LDA won’t notify the driver that the vehicle is drifting from the lane.

Vehicles have turn signals ?

you guys are great :slight_smile:

I see way too many drivers on my commute who has no idea their vehicles have turn signals…

I’m convinced (from all of the wonderful Jersey tourists around) that turn signals are an optional add-on for cars in Jersey…:man_facepalming:

I’m suppose to use my turn signal when two lanes merge? There is no useful information using a turn signal in that situation. There is even a merge I use every day where there is a left turn at the merge. Using the left turn signal would b counterproductive, causing some people to pull to the right to get around a left turner at the merge.

Yes . It certainly helps if the person behind you is not aware that lanes are merging. Transmitting all your intentions on the road is improving your chance of not having an accident.

1 Like

There are signs that tell you the lanes merge. I still see no reason and I’ve never seen anyone use their turn signal unless they want to make that left turn.

Neither have I. That’s not a common way for drivers to use their turn signals.

I always use the turn signal when changing lanes, if i’m in a lane that ends i’m going to move over to the lane that continues on.

1 Like

Yes, if one lane is ending, the driver in the lane which is ending using turn signals is pretty common. But where two lanes (for example on the freeway) merge and neither is really ending, just merging into one lane, turn signals there aren’t common from what I see anyway.