12,000 Mile Road Trip

WE DID IT!

Some of you may remember this topic from nearly a year ago, in December 2011/January 2012. That thread got closed, but I wanted to update those who responded.

First of all, thanks for everyone’s help, I was pretty clueless before I came here, and you guys really opened up my eyes as far as the maintenance that this trip would require.

I also wanted to say, WE DID IT! Our 11,120.6 mile journey was incredible and it went off without a hitch (not literally, haha)! We changed our oil (as someone suggested) about halfway through, after 6,000 miles or so. The mechanic was pretty stunned when I told him I had put 6,000 miles on it in the last 10 days.

I would be more than happy to answer any question anyone might have (because I know you all care so much), and more than anything else I recommend this trip to everyone who doesn’t mind a little driving! I seriously never felt trapped in the car or bored or sore or anything like that. If you enjoy travel, seeing the country, and having a hell of a time with friends, then don’t be scared… go do this! Just message me here or at facebook.com/The48StateRoadTrip?ref=hl if you want some details on how this all came together, or if you just want to see some cool pictures! There are still more to add, and there will eventually be a video of the whole trip, so if you are interested, that’s the place to be.

Thanks again to everyone here that offered advice, and happy road tripping to all!

-T

Thanks for the update. Now if anyone mentions a state you can say “yep, been there”.

We’re always glad to get a happy follow-up report.

What will be your next adventure?

I’m glad you had a good time. You gotta be young to pull something like this off - or old enough to be retired. I’m neither right now, but that’s just my stage in life.

I’m not sure, SteveF, but I can’t wait for it! I’ve crudely planned a European road trip, but I have no idea when I’ll have the time or money to pull it off!

Thanks for the return call. It’s great to hear back, especially when heeded advice actually works. ;=)

Here’s a link to the original post. Looks like they did even better than they thought.
http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2282786/12000-mile-road-trip#latest

I’m amazed that you managed to cross all those state lines in daylight.

Do you all still like each other?

Note: Not everyone is a facebook user. I know that’s hard to believe, but it’s true. It looks like most of your facebook stuff about the trip is available to the uninitiated though.