1/4 inch of snow followed by 1/2 inch of salt

Sometimes that 1extra mph does make a difference. BTW it’s not me in the ditch, and I did stop to take the pic. :grinning:

1 Like

Driver still on scene? How do you know the car’s speed when it ran off the road? There could also be other circumstances like live animals on the road or crazy people doing stupid things in the oncoming lane.

1 Like

Although rock salt is still used on local roads, it appears that all of the county and state highways in my area are now treated with “brine”. The brine treatment can be done a few hours before the snow starts to fall, and it seems to be just as effective as rock salt.

Most snow area’s I know of use Calcium Chloride…I don’t know any municipal that uses Rock salt. Rock salt is almost useless when temps drop below -10 - Calcium works down to -25. I’ve never lived in an area that regularly sees temps this low. Very very rare event.

Rock salt is also a slow reacting salt.

It also has less runoff, which is good.

No driver on scene.
No, but clearly faster than the conditions would allow.
Always a possibility, I’ve driven this corner for 40 years. People are over the centerline more often than not.

In deep wet snow like that and FWD, sometimes the car will just go where it wants to go regardless of speed. You can turn the wheels and power up or power down and still it can just head for the ditch. I guess if you are going slow enough you can stop it but complicating factors are tracks already in the snow.

Saw one episode, a car was following in the tracks of another, first car went off the road, and the second one followed.

Wow 500’. Hope you never need to pull that one.
The neighbor’s septic failed in grand fashion at my prior house. One acre lots. Turns out they used the wrong type of sand. It was only 10 years old. Using powdered detergents didn’t help. But we had city water… :wink:

Which RO system did you choose? Mine tested 7ppm iirc just once but that has me a bit concerned still even though subsequent tests ok. A lot of arsenic systems only say they will be less than 5ppm. I think RO can remove it all, right?

It is sticking to the car like a glue… hey, they seem to use some glue to make it stick to the road for 1-2 days before the snow hits in my area.

What is an RO system? I think our city uses rock salt, then adds liquid calcium chloride to the salt trucks for colder temps. That stuff will eat the rubber right off your shoes I hear.

It’s like salt dust here. The brine dust clouds make me cringe driving through that…

No cabin filter, really bad days I can taste the salt.

RO means remote osmosis. Water under pressure is met by a membrane that lets small molecules like water though but does not allow larger, possibly toxic molecules through.

Yep, the Granite State…lots of interesting things in the H 2 0, same for much of Maine, BTW.

That does seem to happen every year…:exploding_head: our first “snow” should arrive tonight (doubt we get more than maybe 1/2 inch)

1 Like

The town where my place of employment was located was also the home to what were called “the clay pits”. At one time, they were used by companies that manufactured bricks. By the late '60s, they were just a vacant eyesore.

Some “genius” in the town’s road department decided that, instead of buying sand to spread on the roads, they would scoop-up loads of that essentially useless clay, and spread it on the roads. :crazy_face:

In addition to the reality that it made an awful mess on everyone’s car, that clay was actually a source of slippery road conditions because of its nature. Making a mess of everyone’s car AND making road conditions worse… What a combination!

1 Like

The red car looks like some kind of Chrysler product . . . ?