£1,100 paid for Dodgey motor

A bad valve cover gasket will not put oil in your tailpipe, it will only put it on the outside of your engine. Oil in the tailpip ir rings or valve guides or seals.

Water and steam from the tail pipe is normal during rainy weather.

Without a promise of no oil leaks it doesn’t seem reasonable to me to take the time to go to court over a valve cover gasket.

The car is booked into the garage tomorrow to be examined. I’m not taking anyone to court unless I have a expensive repair bill and a refusal to acknowledge responsibility.
The symptoms my car is showing could be a major repair or could be a cheap repair just don’t know which yet…

1 Like

A light brown color is a sign of healthy oil. Dark brown or black, it’s time for an oil and filter change. If you see a sort of thick cottage cheese effect on the bottom of the cap where you pour the oil in, that’s a sign of a problem, so check for that. Good idea to take it to a shop for a diagnosis of the issues. The coolant level shouldn’t drop much over the course of a few thousand miles. . If you are certain about that, one thing your mechanic should focus on is why it is happening. Hopefully it is just a hose connection leaking. Liquid water and white smoke coming out the tailpipe is normal when first starting a cold engine, especially in damp cold weather. Best of luck, thanks for clarifying the MOT.

With such a limited budget, a very used BMW would be one the last cars I would consider if I needed reliable transportation, especially if I was unwilling or unable to fix it myself.

6 Likes

The economics of BMW ownership might be a little different in the UK vs USA. There’s a higher % of German cars on the road probably, so UK owners have the benefit of economy of scale in finding a repair place. The BMW repairs places in my area, the mechanics seem to all wear clean & pressed white uniforms. There’s very few older BMWs to be seen still on the road.

This may be true, but reliability and parts cost are undoubtedly the same.

2 Likes

In the U.S., used car sales are covered in each state by its own statutes. Most have words to the effect that used car sales are all 100% “as is” unless otherwise stated in writing or fraud can be proven… which is usually just about impossible, even though the burden of proof is far more lenient in civil court than in criminal court. The statutes are written the way they are to prevent clogging the civil court systems up with “he said” “no, he said” arguments without evidence on either side.

I have absolutely no idea how British law handles used car sales. It may be as different to our system as day is to night. But I wish you justice.

And I hope you learn from this experience the importance of never trusting anything said by anyone trying to sell you something. Trust only what you can see, feel, and verify via a third party. And know that even if you fail to get justice this time, you’ll get past this. Life will go on.

2 Likes

Hmm? No report on what the mechanic said?