0W-16 in 2023 Lexus RX350h

That is incorrect. Ford specifies 5w50 oil on the Boss 302 and Shelby GT350 models with DOHC V8s with variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust.

This viscosity argument has not yet identified what happens with increasing viscosity…

It takes more hp to pump the oil and shearing the oil as it passes through the bearings creates more heat in the oil. The extra heat thins it, pushing it closer to the thinner weights. It is a vicious circle.

WRONG. Listen to it again. He said they use 0W-20. 0W-20 ONLY comes as synthetic. He said it right around 6:05 into the video. He also said they are NOT using Toyota oil…whatever that means. Toyota doesn’t make oil. It’s made for them by one of the oil manufacturers. Very few companies make 0W-20. Any 0w-20 will meet the Toyota oil spec. Yes, it may be cheaper than Toyota (brand) oil. But that doesn’t mean it’s inferior. He also made the statement that you should ALWAYS change oil at 5k mile interval…NOT 10k.

10k mile change interval may be fine for most people who only keep their vehicles 150k miles. For many of us in this forum (like myself) who keep their vehicles well past 250k and even 300k miles…it’s NOT. I know for a fact 5k oil change interval will keep my engines running past 300k miles without any issues. I’ve done it 5+ times already.

1 Like

I can only provide my own example. I followed the Honda recommended oil change regimen for my 2005 Accord EX V6 and changed oil and filter between 7000 and 7500 miles. I believe their OLM was mileage based at the time. When I traded the car it had 187,000 miles and the used car manager said he was pleasantly surprised that the engine was in such good shape. I post this only to say that using manufacturers oil change recommendations have always worked for me with Honda and GM products even though we send over 150,000 miles with the last three.

Toyota brandsd oil is from Exxon\Mobil

Now. But Toyota renegotiates the contract every 5 or so years. I know 20 years ago it was QuakerState.

3 Likes

Even if I keep my plug-in hybrid for more than 150k miles, because I use the gas engine so seldom, a 10k interval will be more than sufficient for my usage. Right now, I have ~2,400 on the odometer and because the vast majority of my driving is done in EV mode, the gas engine has actually run for only about 600 miles. When my odometer gets up to the 10k oil change interval, it is likely that the gas engine will have run for no more than 2,500-3,000 miles.

About once every 2 weeks, when I am on a highway drive, I make sure to run the gas engine for 20-30 minutes to evaporate any H2O condensation that might be present.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what you mean here but SAE20HD WILL break down and sludge an engines. In comparison of conventional multi-grade oils to single grade oils, the single grade oils will take higher temperatures before breakdown occurs and have a lower ASTM 5800 score by the Noack method.

ASTM 5800 is a measure of volatility of oil based on a procedure developed by a guy named Noack. Basically heating oil to 250C and measuring the loss per hour. Lower score is better. I can’t find any Noack scores for a 20 HD but a typical 30 HD is around 6. Typical modern 0w20 and 5w20 synthetics range from 6 to 13. If you have GDI engine, this score is very important as a high score will cause your intake valve stems to gunk up quicker.

This does not tell you the temperature at which oil begins to breakdown at. Many years ago, before the internet, I remember reading an article in some car magazine about how multi-grade oils (10w40) were having a measurable breakdown as low as 295F where single grade oils were over 350F. It wasn’t uncommon for engines made after 1975 to see oil temps above 300F for trapped oil after shutdown. This caused a lot of engines to sludge up if regular oil changes were neglected.

Synthetic oils at that time did not break down below 350F. At that time, it meant Amsoil or Mobil 1. Not a lot of choices then.

My point is, ALL oils will breakdown when subjected to enough temperature and time.

3 Likes

Probably will. But conventional ICE engine…maybe 150k miles. But how about 300k miles? I know for a fact 5k mile oil change interval works for 300k miles. I’ve seen problems with vehicles using the extended oil changes (10k+ miles). Safest thing for me is to stick with the 5k mile oil change interval.

2 Likes

Well HD 30 scored 6, and the synthetics scored 6 to 13 (lower is better). This is my point!

Too bad there isn’t a lawn mower that takes SAE 20 so that it could be available for a car!

I think the issue was more to do with viscosity modifiers in the 5W20 breaking down. I read that it happens more quickly in engines with tight tolerances, like Toyota. This is from shear friction not temperature. The molecules are very long chains that uncoil at higher temperatures to make the oil thicker. They can break and produce sludge. It’s been a problem in Toyota engines even with regular 3k mile oil changes.

SAE 50 oil works with Toyota Camry VVT-i?

He said you have no idea what they are using at the Toyota dealer oil change. If they can get 5W20 for $3 per quart are you sure they wouldn’t use it? “Synthetic” can be a blend and poor quality too, which is along the lines of what the mechanic said. My original statement was that a good synthetic oil could handle 10k mile oil changes. We would have to know what the dealer used to go further. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to further investigate what oil the dealer is using.

Basically, don’t ever consider 10k mile oil changes if there is any doubt as to what oil was put in it.

Edit: Here is an SAE 20 oil, but it only meets API SB! SB ended in 1951. We’re on SN now! CAM2 ND SAE 20 MOTOR OIL - CAM2 It would probably be better than using 5W20 for 10k miles though.

Here is an API SE HD 20W Classic SAE 20 Mineral Engine Oil API CC/SE

Yes, I believe it would.

But, you made a general statement that VVTi won’t work with 50 weight oil, I provided examples that do.

Multi weight oils are rated by their viscosity at 0 degrees C and 100 degrees C. A 50 weight oil and a 5w50 or 15w50 oil would have the same viscosity at 100 C, so the VVTi will work the same.

2 Likes

You’re the one who making the statement that he said it was 5w-20 non synthetic. Now you’re changing your argument because the facts don’t fit your argument. To say there were using 5w20 without any facts to back it up is just lying. He specifically said they were using 0w20. His complaint was that it wasn’t Toyota oil.

And you have ZERO proof that it does except based on your own knowledge…which you’ve proven in this forum to be totally worthless.

3 Likes

He said they were likely using a cheap oil. He didn’t rule out a non synthetic. He said that sure it could be syntheic 0W20, but the cheapest they can get. Personally I doubt they were even using synthetic based on the engine being sludged and ruined at 180k miles.

170k miles with 10k highway mile oil changes using normal quality 0W20 syntheic. Oil analysis done. Engine still in good condition: Engine Oil w/ 10,000 miles from my Toyota Corolla / Oil Analysis (Part 2). The Car Care Nut is Wrong - YouTube

my 2019 Toyota Rav’s recommended oil is 0w16…

1 Like